Thread poster: cilantro

cilantro  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:24
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 28, 2009

Dear fellow Prozians,
I have a question related to processing a .pdf file in the Trados 2009 Suite.
I understand from the documentation that Trados uses MS Word to process pdf files.
When I open the .pdf "searchable" file it comes up empty, so I tried instead to use the Word file converted manually. However when Trados tried to open the file I received an error that the format is not supported!
What am I missing? Is anyone familiar with different formats for Word (.doc) files?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Susana Valdez  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:24
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is this perhaps an incompatibility with Word 2007? Dec 28, 2009

It shouldn't be, but perhaps it is an incompatibility with Word 2007. Anyway, try to save the document in .txt.

Darrell Champlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Check converted file format Dec 28, 2009

When I convert PDFs using my standard PDF converter, it saves the file as an rtf, which Studio 2009 apparently does not recognize. I then have to save it as .doc. I suggest you save your MS Word document again making sure it is a .doc. This might solve your issue.

Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Word 2003 .doc format Dec 28, 2009

The files are in .doc format. That's why it's so baffling.
I can open the files in Word just fine; the conversion is nearly perfect, just that Trados won't accept the files.

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:24
English to French
+ ...
Copy content into a new file Dec 28, 2009

It happened to me before. My usual solution is to open a new, empty Word document, copy the content of the faulty file and paste it in the new file. And save as Word 97-2003. This usually creates a 'real' Word document, which is recognised by Trados (and other CAT tools - I had the same issue once with a file that Wordfast Pro wouldn't accept either...)

Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to copy also the images Dec 28, 2009

Thanks, we're getting closer. But copying the text alone sort of defeats the purpose. I could have done the same from the searchable .pdf file and stuck the text in a file.
The point is to save the format of the original file. Anyone?

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
More on the Doc format Dec 28, 2009

Just to make things clear - the file may have the .doc extension and open in Word fine, but it could be still in fact an RTF file with the wrong extension. Try saving it in Word specifically as a Word document. Sorry if this is already clear to you.

Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Dec 28, 2009

Fascinating, a .doc file that doesn't save as a doc file... You have to re-save the file (here's a new verb)! from Word and then rtf is rtf and doc is doc. It worked, thanks a lot (we're dumb, but only computers are dumber)

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why is this so fascinating? Dec 28, 2009

cilantro wrote:

Fascinating, a .doc file that doesn't save as a doc file... You have to re-save the file (here's a new verb)! from Word and then rtf is rtf and doc is doc. It worked, thanks a lot (we're dumb, but only computers are dumber)

It is nearly always, that PDF converter do save files in RTF format, but with a doc extension.
When you say computer, you do not always mean a PC. And when you need an operating system it does not necessarily mean Windows.
Same with file formats. Darell has told you this already, but you did not want to believe...

Israel
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why not save as .rtf format if that's what they are? [going off topic] Dec 28, 2009

In a way it is fascinating, since the converter programs could call the output rtf. Thanks for pointing this out.
A computer is not always a PC, and operating system doesn't always refer to Windows, however Polish is Polish, and German is German (for the most part)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009: Word file format not supported

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search