Is SDL Trados Studio 2009 compatible with "MS Office 2007" Home and Student edition
Thread poster: Laura_Fazio
Laura_Fazio  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:31
Dec 28, 2009

Is SDL Trados Studio 2009 compatible with "Microsoft Office 2007" Home and Student edition?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In whicht terms compatible? Dec 28, 2009

Studio can process Office 2007 formats, so it is compatible.
Or do you mean the compatibility in terms of using Word for translations?
In such case Studio itself will not work in Word, as it is not designed anymore to support the Word interface. However, as Studio is always delivered with SDL Trados 2007 Suite (at least for the time being), this will install in Word 2007.
So it will also work with Office 2007 Home & Student, as the Office type does not matter.

But I am not sure, if you are aware of the limitatiosn Home & Student does impose on you. You may not use it for commercial purposes, what means simply, that you are not entitled to sell any work done using Office Home & Student. I wouldn't risk breaching the rules of such a licence for just few bucks, which are necessary to buy any commercial version of Office.

United States
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Dec 28, 2009

Thank you, Jerzy. That is very interesting. I have to make a purchase decision and that will help me a lot.
Now, I don't understand why in the world Studio doesn't work with Word format, that makes no sense at all to me.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
The point with Studio 2009 Dec 28, 2009

Laura_Fazio wrote:

Thank you, Jerzy. That is very interesting. I have to make a purchase decision and that will help me a lot.
Now, I don't understand why in the world Studio doesn't work with Word format, that makes no sense at all to me.

Hi Laura,
what Jerzy means is that Studio 2009 does not work directly from the MS Word interface, which is not a great loss AFAIAC - but it will process MS Word files internally and deliver a target text. The last version which was able to work directly in MS Word (i.e. with a template called TRADOS8.dotm and the corresponding macros and interface) was SDL Trados 2007.

I guess that delivering "clean" (target) and "unclean" (bilingual, comprising source and target text) files is more and more becoming a thing of the past - other programs have been/are going in this direction too.

[Edited at 2009-12-28 19:56 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word format is supported by Studio Dec 28, 2009

but you cannot use Word to edit files, that's it - as Laurent already pointed out.
Anyway - with Studio and Suite (both components delivered now when purchasing Trados 2009 Studio) you will be able to process nearly all file formats either directly in Studio or via preparation in Trados 2007. In case you really need a bilingual (so called "unclean") Word file you can still deliver that using Trados 2007 which has a Word interface.

Please do not mix between formats supported and working format.
With older versions of Trados you did work in Word, but Studio does not allow you to work with Word anymore. So now instead of working in Word on a Word file and in another editor (called TagEditor) on any other format you simply work in Studio on any format.

Again, when buying Office please take the restrictions for Home & Student into consideration. Instead of buying this very limited version check with ebay, where serious seller offer Office Professional for very reasonable money. And I mean really serious seller with genuine software.

United States
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 28, 2009

Thank you Laurent and Jerzy.
Now it makes more sense.
Another question:
What's the difference between MS Office Small Business and MS Office Professional?
Thank you again!

[Edited at 2009-12-28 20:19 GMT]

United States
TOPIC STARTER
Difference Dec 28, 2009

Ok, I visited MS website. Here's the difference between them:
Professional has Access 2007 and Small Business doesn't.

[Edited at 2009-12-28 20:39 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just read the comparation on producers site Dec 28, 2009

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX101635841033.aspx

Justd ecide what do you need - in most cases Word and Excel are sufficient, however Powerpoint is also very useful. For typical translation jobs you will not need Publisher or Access, althouh if you find a cheap licence for Professional I would simply buy that.
I've bought a legal copy of Office 2007 Professional Plus on ebay for just US $ 149 including delivery to Germany.

PS
Here is a quote from FAQ on MS site regarding Home & Student. You can find it here in the section "Pricing and ordering":
Are there license restrictions to Office Home and Student 2007?

Yes. Office Home and Student 2007 is licensed only for noncommercial use by households. It cannot be used in commercial (business) situations.

[Edited at 2009-12-28 20:29 GMT]

United States
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Dec 28, 2009

Thank you, Jerzy. Yes, I just saw the website. Good, just in time!
I am going to take a look at eBay.
Happy Holidays!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is SDL Trados Studio 2009 compatible with "MS Office 2007" Home and Student edition

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search