Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:39
French to English
+ ...
Dec 29, 2009

Hello all,

SDL Trados Studio SP1 - 9.1.1107.0

This isn't a problem yet, but I'm worried it might cause problems when I come to finalise the file and clean it up. I'm translating a Word doc (part of a large project) in Studio 2009, and I have translated and checked everything. The count at the bottom right says that I have 27 words "untranslated" and -26 (minus 26) words in draft segments (when I would expect that it should say 100% translated, 0 draft, 0 untranslated).<
... See more
Hello all,

SDL Trados Studio SP1 - 9.1.1107.0

This isn't a problem yet, but I'm worried it might cause problems when I come to finalise the file and clean it up. I'm translating a Word doc (part of a large project) in Studio 2009, and I have translated and checked everything. The count at the bottom right says that I have 27 words "untranslated" and -26 (minus 26) words in draft segments (when I would expect that it should say 100% translated, 0 draft, 0 untranslated).

Any idea what might be causing this?

Many thanks.
Collapse

Alan Douglas (X)
Alan Douglas (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:39
SIMPLE SOLUTION Dec 29, 2009

Trados Studio 2009:

It is incredibly easy, particularly with a large document, to miss confirmation of one or more segments, without even noticing. This will show up at the bottom of the screen as percentages for 'Draft' and 'Translated' and will also show up in any word count report. It will drive you to total distraction hunting up and down through the entire document for the culprit segment(s).

The simple solution is to start with your cursor the first segment of th
... See more
Trados Studio 2009:

It is incredibly easy, particularly with a large document, to miss confirmation of one or more segments, without even noticing. This will show up at the bottom of the screen as percentages for 'Draft' and 'Translated' and will also show up in any word count report. It will drive you to total distraction hunting up and down through the entire document for the culprit segment(s).

The simple solution is to start with your cursor the first segment of the document, press ctrl-alt-enter to confirm and go to the next 'untranslated' segment. Check that you are happy with that segment and repeat until you reach the end of the document. Voila!

In other instances it may be appropriate to leave certain segments - e.g. addresses, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail and website addresses in an Excel spreadsheet as copied from source (using ctrl-insert) and therefore 'untranslated'. It all depends whether you are billing them or not.

Good luck!
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
how to find unconfirmed segments Dec 29, 2009

There are 2 other ways of finding unconfirmed segments in addition to Alan's solution.

One way is:
Ctrol G (go to) >status > draft (or untranslated if you prefer)

The other way is:
Display > unconfirmed segments (that way you will see them all at once).

Either way will solve your problem of your 27 untranslated words.
I'm afraid the minus 26 in draft is a mystery to me too. How can the number be a minus?

Hope I've helped a b
... See more
There are 2 other ways of finding unconfirmed segments in addition to Alan's solution.

One way is:
Ctrol G (go to) >status > draft (or untranslated if you prefer)

The other way is:
Display > unconfirmed segments (that way you will see them all at once).

Either way will solve your problem of your 27 untranslated words.
I'm afraid the minus 26 in draft is a mystery to me too. How can the number be a minus?

Hope I've helped a bit.

[Edited at 2009-12-29 18:52 GMT]
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 30, 2009

Thanks both - perhaps I should have been clearer. I know about Ctrl+G to go to untranslated/draft segments, and that command is finding nothing in this document. As a last resort I will go through segment-by-segment as Alan suggests, but I would have thought if Ctrl+G search for "draft" reveals nothing, a manual search wouldn't be any more fruitful.

I too have no idea why the number is negative!

Kenneth Powers
Kenneth Powers  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It is a trados bug Feb 28, 2010

Save and then analyse the already translated document in the File view, this should correct the word count (pre-translating also works)

Urska Colner Vracun
Urska Colner Vracun
Slovenia
Slovenian
+ ...
Analyzing the file doesn't work Mar 22, 2011

Hi,

I have the same problem with a huge file where the -0.26% of Drafts won't go away.

I tried pre-translating and analyzing the file and it doesn't work. Any other ideas?

I use Studio 2009 Freelance SP3.

Urska

Patricia Barthélémy
Patricia Barthélémy  Identity Verified

English to French
SDL Trados Bug still there May 10, 2011

Hi,

The bug's still there. It'a actually the first time it's happening to me and I just installed the latest SP3 version (9.1.2276.5). Any chance it could be fixed in the next version?

Thanks,
Patricia

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:39
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Old bug not fixed... May 13, 2011

Again, this is an old bug with Studio, probably first reported an year and a half ago (or more), but Studio programmers have never had the time or motivation to look into it apparently. The last time I raised a question about it on this forum, I was told flat out that there is nothing to complain about, that this was insignificant and there were much more important problems to take care of first.

With that kind of attitude I am not optimistic that changes will happen soon.

Patricia Barthélémy

English to French
OK, thank you May 13, 2011

Thank you Pavel.

The more I use SDL Trados, the more I say to myself that one has to accept one's mistakes in life.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Old bug... yes... May 13, 2011

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
Again, this is an old bug with Studio, probably first reported an year and a half ago (or more), but Studio programmers have never had the time or motivation to look into it apparently. The last time I raised a question about it on this forum, I was told flat out that there is nothing to complain about, that this was insignificant and there were much more important problems to take care of first.
With that kind of attitude I am not optimistic that changes will happen soon.

... but I hope this isn't really what you were told..! At least, not in the way you wrote it.

The problem we have is that we have never been able to reproduce it and this makes it difficult to find out why it's happening. You can resolve it by running a word count, or an analysis (I think... never been able to put this to the test myself).

But if anyone can help me to repro the issue so I can share this with the development team I can assure you that we are very interested to fix it.

Regards

Paul

Patricia Barthélémy

English to French
Log to trace the issue? May 13, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

But if anyone can help me to repro the issue so I can share this with the development team I can assure you that we are very interested to fix it.

Regards

Paul

Is there a log we can access to or send you that traces the history of the project processes/actions? If so, where?

Thanks,
Patricia

The problem occurs in Trados 2011 as well May 23, 2012

I just translated a document with about 6,000 segments. The total translation reads 100%, but INS is 0.10% and draft -0.10%. No cure for this type of error. I paid 180 EUR for the upgrade...to find out the new version did not solve the problem...perhaps time for DejaVu Atril...

Hope Farmer
Hope Farmer
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Studio 2011: 99% translated although everything that is visible is translated Jul 26, 2012

I just encountered this for the first time. I have 5 Word files. 3 of them are stuck at 99% translated. Each one has one 6-letter word that is not translated, but I can see it.
From the comments I've seen I doubt that SP2 will fix this.
Pre-translating the files worked for me.
Thanks Kenneth!

Melanie T
Melanie T  Identity Verified
German to English
Going from confirmed translation to untranslated Sep 11, 2012

always happens when I have one or more segments that I had already confirmed the translation for, but then turn them back to untranslated...

it is a bit annoying, but I just make sure I don't do that anymore...

Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Try running a "Translation Count" Oct 4, 2012

John Pedri wrote:

I just translated a document with about 6,000 segments. The total translation reads 100%, but INS is 0.10% and draft -0.10%.

I use Studio 2011 SP2R and I think I might have found a way to correct these inaccurate statistics which were appearing at the bottom of my Editor view.

First it was showing me "63" draft segments (when segments were actually either Translated or Not translated). Then it went down to "13", and later "3". Eventually it went as far as showing "-13" ( minus 13) draft words!

I initially tried "refreshing" the view, "analyzing" the file, calculating the "Word count", and restarting the application but none of these changed anything.

The only thing that made a difference was to perform the following task: "Translation Count" (which appears in the list of Batch tasks that you can run, when you right click on the file in the Files view).

Melanie T wrote:

always happens when I have one or more segments that I had already confirmed the translation for, but then turn them back to untranslated...

For what it's worth, I also changed the status of some of my segments to untranslated, as Melanie described. Maybe this is what caused the problem.

I'll keep you posted in case my solution was only short-lived... Fingers crossed.

Alexa

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: discrepancies in word count

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »