PROs and CONs: Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: MMUlr

MMUlr  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:17
English to German
+ ...
Dec 29, 2009

We can find - and have read already - numerous threads about CAT technical and especially Trados issues, but right now, the new year 2010 ahead, we would like to collect the experiences so far by our ProZ colleagues:

It's about (finally!) quitting the obsolete 6.5 version of Trados and purchasing a new Trados software (Studio 2009 Freelancer, most probably) ...

(Just to make it clear right from the start: Is there any possibility to only upgrade the 6.5 version to a current one?!)

Our main questions:
- Is it really worth while to buy the new Trados Studio 2009 version?
- Have we understood it right that we need the Studio 2009 Plus version in order to use the software on two separate computers?
- Is MultiTerm part of the Studio 2009 Package?

Overall, is Trados Studio 2009 Freelance (Plus) a really complete solution to replace the old Trados 6.5 version? - And what will happen to our old TMs or translation files which were created with the old version? Is there total compability?

Your experiences and opinions are very much appreciated - even if you have written them already in one or the other thread so far ...icon_wink.gif

Thank you in advance,
Mark + Margret

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:17
Spanish
+ ...
Some answers Dec 29, 2009

- Is it really worth while to buy the new Trados Studio 2009 version?

In my opinion: yes. Several new features (original from SDL or taken from other CAT tools) in SDL Studio make the software more efficient in terms of the number of words translated and post-translation QA (it takes less time to do the QA).

- Have we understood it right that we need the Studio 2009 Plus version in order to use the software on two separate computers?

True. I've recently seen offers of Studio Plus + Trados 2007 + Autosuggest at a discount price.

- Is MultiTerm part of the Studio 2009 Package?

Yes. Multiterm 2009 works with all SDL components (Studio, Trados, SDLX). For TagEditor and SDLX, a patch is necessary but it's available for free.

About compatibility, that's a tricky area. The problem is how Studio handles tags compared to Workbench. I think Trados 6.5 and 7 are compatible, but if they're not, you could export your TMs as *.tmx files and import them to a new Studio TM.

But here's an example of how tricky things can get: I recently used Studio to translate a lengthy Word file full of cross-references, it was very easy because each cross-reference was a simple internal tag in Studio. The problem is that I had to deliver a bilingual TagEditor file. So I exported the TM from Studio and created a new Workbench TM to use it with TagEditor. Since TagEditor uses tags to handle the format and the cross-references are handled differently, TagEditor couldn't automatically translate the document because TagEditor had added more tags to the document, and those extra tags weren't part of the Studio TM. I had to insert the tags manually in TagEditor, which took me forever. But that's a TagEditor flaw, not Studio's.

Overall, I'm very happy I upgraded to Studio.

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
layout Dec 31, 2009

Just out of curiosity, how have you got used to the source line - target line layout? That's one of a few things that keep me a bit back...icon_smile.gif

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Layout Dec 31, 2009

Tomas Mosler wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how have you got used to the source line - target line layout? That's one of a few things that keep me a bit back...icon_smile.gif

I was already used to it because several CAT tools have the same layout, including SDLX. In my opinion, that layout is more efficient, but it does take some time to get used to it.

MMUlr  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Claudia and Tomas, Dec 31, 2009

... for your opinions. Especially thanks to Claudia, your answers and comments were very helpful.

Now we will purchase Studio 2009 (SP1, Plus version for 2 separate computers) ... and say good-bye to the old, old Trados 6.5 timesicon_wink.gif

A Happy New Year to all of you,
MMUlr

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Vertical layout (alias side-by-side view) Dec 31, 2009

Tomas Mosler wrote:

Hi Tomáš,
this a thing I have been continuously criticising since the first release of Studio. The vertical layout is useful for revision purposes, but not so much for translation, at least in my opinion. I have worked with Studio since Beta 2 but haven't got used to this layout yet.
Perhaps you might want to support this idea: http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2048

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
legacy / layout Dec 31, 2009

Now we will purchase Studio 2009 (SP1, Plus version for 2 separate computers) ... and say good-bye to the old, old Trados 6.5 timesicon_wink.gif

You will get Trados 2007 with Studio 2009, too, so you can keep a bit of legacy.icon_biggrin.gif

Stanislav, I voted!icon_smile.gif

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
2 separate computers at a time Jan 1, 2010

MMUlr wrote:

... for your opinions. Especially thanks to Claudia, your answers and comments were very helpful.

A Happy New Year to all of you,
MMUlr

Just in case: the Plus version allows you to install Studio in 2 separate computers but you can only use one at a time, it's not a 2-for-1 license.

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
TTX deliverables Jan 1, 2010

Claudia, I've been delivering TTXs directly from Studio with no complaints since June without using TagEditor at all. I just convert the Word files into TTXs in Workbench using the Translate feture, translate them in Studio and then use the Save Target As command to create the TTXs for delivery (where you can also create clean Word files if needed).

[Edited at 2010-01-01 21:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PROs and CONs: Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search