Trados 2006 and Trados 2009 on same computer
Thread poster: Michael Spaventa

Michael Spaventa  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
German to English
Dec 29, 2009

Hello,

I have 2 clients that utilize a Trados-created add-on software that currently works only with SDL Trados 2006. I have a third client that is upgrading to Trados 2009 and requesting I do the same. I recognize the two versions are incompatible. However, is it possible to run both on the same computer (via upgrade to 2009 or something similar)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It will be possible to use both on the same PC Dec 29, 2009

However with some major limitations.
In Trados 2006 you will have NO term recognition, as Studio (Trados 2009) works only with Multiterm 2009 and deinstalls any earlier version of Multiterm. This happens even if you do not install MT2009 itself.
You will most probably not install Trados 2007 on your PC. In that case you will not be able to upgrade translation memories using the wizzard in Studio, but will have to export them as TMX in T2006, create new TMs in Studio and import the TMX there.

Of course you might try to install T2007 and T2009 parallel to T2006, but I'm afraid this will not work to your full satisfaction.

The best option in my opinion would be creating a virtual machine just for T2006 and using T2007+T2009 on your "main" PC.

Michael Spaventa  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the fast reply Dec 29, 2009

Given that the 2 clients for which I need T2006 represent 90% of my business and the rest are only 10%, it would be best I guess to do T2009 as virtual. What would I have to do, create a partition or something? I'm running XP.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Indeed this would be a better solution Dec 29, 2009

You can download a free Virtual PC software from Microsoft here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx
Install the software, then start the VM, install a new copy of Windows XP (you need a new one) and then you can start using it as would it be a "normal" PC.
Alternative you may want to upgrade your OS to Windows 7, as at least the Professional and Ultimate versions do offer a virtual XP-mode integrated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2006 and Trados 2009 on same computer

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search