Trados 2006 and Trados 2009 on same computer
Thread poster: Michael Spaventa

Michael Spaventa  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:04
German to English
Dec 29, 2009

Hello,

I have 2 clients that utilize a Trados-created add-on software that currently works only with SDL Trados 2006. I have a third client that is upgrading to Trados 2009 and requesting I do the same. I recognize the two versions are incompatible. However, is it possible to run both on the same computer (via upgrade to 2009 or something similar)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:04
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It will be possible to use both on the same PC Dec 29, 2009

However with some major limitations.
In Trados 2006 you will have NO term recognition, as Studio (Trados 2009) works only with Multiterm 2009 and deinstalls any earlier version of Multiterm. This happens even if you do not install MT2009 itself.
You will most probably not install Trados 2007 on your PC. In that case you will not be able to upgrade translation memories using the wizzard in Studio, but will have to export them as TMX in T2006, create new TMs in Studio and import the TMX there.

Of course you might try to install T2007 and T2009 parallel to T2006, but I'm afraid this will not work to your full satisfaction.

The best option in my opinion would be creating a virtual machine just for T2006 and using T2007+T2009 on your "main" PC.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Spaventa  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:04
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the fast reply Dec 29, 2009

Given that the 2 clients for which I need T2006 represent 90% of my business and the rest are only 10%, it would be best I guess to do T2009 as virtual. What would I have to do, create a partition or something? I'm running XP.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:04
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Indeed this would be a better solution Dec 29, 2009

You can download a free Virtual PC software from Microsoft here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx
Install the software, then start the VM, install a new copy of Windows XP (you need a new one) and then you can start using it as would it be a "normal" PC.
Alternative you may want to upgrade your OS to Windows 7, as at least the Professional and Ultimate versions do offer a virtual XP-mode integrated.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2006 and Trados 2009 on same computer

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search