Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:34
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 30, 2009

Hi there

Hoping some Trados old hands can help me here.

I recently purchased Trados 2009 Studio Freelancer, and have just begun work on a project for which it is required - first time I'm using it. Client has provided a Trados TM for the project, but it appears to be in a 'legacy' format - .tmw file. When I tried to import this into the project in 2009, it rejected it.

Can anyone suggest any solutions?

TIA

Dan

Direct link Reply with quote

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Update Dec 30, 2009

Hi Dan,

There's a dedicated tool for upgrading memories. Click on Tools, then Upgrade Translation Memories, and there should be full instructions there.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
doesn't work Dec 30, 2009

Angela Dickson wrote:

Hi Dan,

There's a dedicated tool for upgrading memories. Click on Tools, then Upgrade Translation Memories, and there should be full instructions there.

hi angela

thanks! i tried that, but unfortunately i just get the following error message:

"the translation memory xyz could not be loaded. unable to open translation memory. invalid userID. click okay to carry on loading the translation memories or click cancel to stop loading the translation memories."

any thoughts?

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
hmmm Dec 30, 2009

I think we're nearing the limits of my expertise now... have you tried exporting your .tmw (using your previous Trados version) as a .txt file, and importing that? (or using the "upgrade memories" wizard on it)

If you haven't got an older version of Trados, you might need to ask your client for a .txt export. It shouldn't take them more than a couple of minutes to do one.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:34
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What about using another user ID? Dec 30, 2009

Or even setting one in your Workbench?
This smells like a freshly installed SDL Trados Studio and SDL Trados 2007, where the Workbench hasn't been started at all.
Should this be the case, just open the Workbench, enter a user ID and try again.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
angela Dec 30, 2009

thanks again angela.

i've tried to access the TM via Trados 2007. This time it opens up a pop up box asking me for my ID. Is that an ID related to the TM, which the client should provide me with?

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good sense of smell Dec 30, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Or even setting one in your Workbench?
This smells like a freshly installed SDL Trados Studio and SDL Trados 2007, where the Workbench hasn't been started at all.
Should this be the case, just open the Workbench, enter a user ID and try again.

jerzy, you've got a good sense of smell. i have indeed just installed the two programmes. i'm new to the whole trados game. when you say start the workbench, what exactly do you mean?

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
got it! Dec 30, 2009

many thanks

managed to open it in trados 2007, add a workbench ID, open in tm upgrade in 2009 and convert... so far so good...

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reversing pairs in a TM Dec 30, 2009

Hi there,

I've a supplementary question. Having opened the TM, I now see that the pairs are US English source into French target.

It has been provided in relation to a project I am doing where the pair is French source into GB English target.

Can I reverse the source and target ij the original TM as, right now, it is incompatible with my working translation file.

Is the GB/US discrepancy going to be an issue for Trados?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:34
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the Studio tool Dec 30, 2009

When you open a TM there, on the second scree you can chose between "Create a TM for each input TM", "Create a TM for each language pair" or "Custom".
Chose custom and create both an English to French and a French to English TM there.

A TM is not reversible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - importing a legacy TM

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search