https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/154354-where_did_the_files_go.html

Where did the files go?
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:43
French to English
Dec 31, 2009

Hello everyone and Happy New Year.

I have been trying to use Trados to translate, but at this point I am spending more time with the product than the translating.
Can someone tell me where to find the Target and Source files when the translation is completed.
I asked the same question with Trados 2007 and was kindly answered, but with 2009 they are not so easy to identify.(for me anyway).
I put in a service request with Trados and was told to export the file in Edi
... See more
Hello everyone and Happy New Year.

I have been trying to use Trados to translate, but at this point I am spending more time with the product than the translating.
Can someone tell me where to find the Target and Source files when the translation is completed.
I asked the same question with Trados 2007 and was kindly answered, but with 2009 they are not so easy to identify.(for me anyway).
I put in a service request with Trados and was told to export the file in Editor view.
However I am unable to select "word" as the format. The source articles are in Word 2007, and of course I need to return the translated material.
Jessie Nelson RN
French/English medical translator
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:43
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
They are where they should be Dec 31, 2009

When you work with Studio, you specify where the files go:
If you open a single file, the translation (bilingual SDLXLIFF) file is saved exactly in the same folder, where the source file was. The target file is saved with the command "Save target as..." and thus located exactly where you want it to have.
If you create a project, you are asked to specify the project folder. After you do that ALL files are located there in subfolders, with bilingual translated files (SDLXLIFF) and tran
... See more
When you work with Studio, you specify where the files go:
If you open a single file, the translation (bilingual SDLXLIFF) file is saved exactly in the same folder, where the source file was. The target file is saved with the command "Save target as..." and thus located exactly where you want it to have.
If you create a project, you are asked to specify the project folder. After you do that ALL files are located there in subfolders, with bilingual translated files (SDLXLIFF) and translated target files located in a subfolder which name corresponds with the code of your target language.

Please do not get me wrong, but this is basics computer stuff and has nothing to do with Trados or anything else. Would you please observe you folder structure and locate your files / projects according to some schema or plan, so would your trouble be gone at once.
I would understand you not being able to find MultiTerm 2007 termbases at once, as they are located indeed in a directory mostly hidden for the user, but Studio does not do that - bot MultiTerm 2009 and Studio locate files exactly where the user wants to have them.
Collapse

Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:43
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Where did the files go Dec 31, 2009

Hello Jerzy and thank you for your response.
I consulted with SDL and there was an error in the way the files were saved, which is why I could not locate them.
They were all saved in a single folder through some program malfunction and the tech was able to correct it for me.
I am just posting this in case anyone else is puzzled by the disappearance of files that should be where you directed them.
Happy New Year.

Jessie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where did the files go?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »