Advice sought in respect of segmentation rule.
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:16
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 1, 2010

Hi friends,

I get almost 85 jobs relating to translation from English into Hindi. So, I have built a English to Hindi Trados translation memory. Sometimes, when I receive a project for translation from Hindi into English, I realize that I have already translated a similar text from English into Hindi. Therefore, I created an inverted memory from my existing memory. I don't face any difficulty in respect of para which has only one sentence and Trados presents the English sentence in the memory in the target segment. But as and when I click on a Hindi sentence which is the part of many sentences in a para, I find that Trados presents all sentences in a single segment and therefore, it does not present the translation despite the fact that the translation is available in the memory.

I suspect it is because of the segmentation. English uses (.) as a full stop, whereas Hindi uses (।), a small bar at the end of sentence as a full stop. I tried to fix it by going to Set up---Segmentation---. I did not find the Hindi full stop as a segment, so I clicked on Add and then inserted the Hindi full stop in front of it and then pressed OK but the problem is persisting.

Could you please guide me in this connection?

Wish you all a happy new year.

Regards,

Chopra

[Edited at 2010-01-01 15:08 GMT]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 04:46
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"inverted TM" Jan 2, 2010

langclinic wrote:

Hi friends,
... Therefore, I created an inverted memory from my existing memory. I don't face any difficulty in respect of para which has only one sentence and Trados presents the English sentence in the memory in the target segment. But as and when I click on a Hindi sentence which is the part of many sentences in a para, I find that Trados presents all sentences in a single segment ...
I suspect it is because of the segmentation. English uses (.) as a full stop, whereas Hindi uses (।), a small bar at the end of sentence as a full stop. ...

I would

i. check if I got the vertical bar correct - it could be some other character, displaying AS |
ii. if it does not corrupt the source text I would transliterate | to period (or colon, tab ...) .

... and (a hint of doubt) I would first look at the contents of the inverted TM - could well be that the inversion of the original TM is the origin for problems indicated.

regards

vito

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:16
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem stands solved Jan 2, 2010

Dear Vito,

Thanks for your reply. Since I did not receive any replies from experts for so many hours, I posted this problem on a Yahoo group regarding Trados Workbench:http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/. One of the professionals suggested the following:

In the Add window you name the segmentation, like
"Hindi stop", but the character should be entered
below, at "Stop character" - or at least I think so.

I applied it and the problem was solved. I am giving the solution here so as to help other translators who face the same situation.

Regards,

Chopra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice sought in respect of segmentation rule.

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search