Heloisa Ferreira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 2, 2010

Hello all,

I use Trados 2007, Windows 7 and Office 2007. I have a document that is already fully translated, but somehow I'm not being able to clean it. All the time I do it, the error -2147467259 appears (while converting to Word document: end tag does not have a matching start tag).

I've browsed this forum archive and found some answers; however, none seems to work in my case. I've already saved the document into a .rtf file, but when translating to fuzzy in Tag Edito
... See more
Hello all,

I use Trados 2007, Windows 7 and Office 2007. I have a document that is already fully translated, but somehow I'm not being able to clean it. All the time I do it, the error -2147467259 appears (while converting to Word document: end tag does not have a matching start tag).

I've browsed this forum archive and found some answers; however, none seems to work in my case. I've already saved the document into a .rtf file, but when translating to fuzzy in Tag Editor, it ends up crashing the program. For this problem, someone suggested that the spell checking option should left unmarked, which I did, but the problem (crashing) still appears.

I already ran the tag viewer tool to find where the problem is, and corrected everything practically manually (took me a lot of time). Even though, the error message still shows up when I try to clean the file.

Is there any other suggestion besides translating without Tag Editor? I know I could use translate to fuzzy in the .doc file using Word, but it's too slow and, I don't know why, it finds parts supposedly not translated when using Word.

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:37
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you read the error message? Jan 2, 2010

It states clearly what the problem is "End tag does not have the matching starting tag".
Somehow you deleted the first tag from a tag pair (which are usually formatting tags).
While the program is expecting such tags to appear in pairs and in your case the starting one is missing, no conversion is possible.
In other words you tell Word to stop formatting text somehow at a certain position, but do not tell Word where to start - this is a critical error, which breakes the creatio
... See more
It states clearly what the problem is "End tag does not have the matching starting tag".
Somehow you deleted the first tag from a tag pair (which are usually formatting tags).
While the program is expecting such tags to appear in pairs and in your case the starting one is missing, no conversion is possible.
In other words you tell Word to stop formatting text somehow at a certain position, but do not tell Word where to start - this is a critical error, which breakes the creation of Word document.
You have to run the tag verifier again. Make sure you use the "Generic tag verifier", not any other. Correct all erorrs regarding missing tags.
Then you should be able to save your target file.
As long the error says "missing starting tag", no retranslation will help, because the error is stored in your TM.

BTW, when I search this forum for "end tag does not have a matching start tag" I get 6,072 hits...
There is this for example and many others.

[Edited at 2010-01-02 10:23 GMT]
Collapse

Heloisa Ferreira
Heloisa Ferreira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! Jan 2, 2010

Thank you so much Jerzy, you made my day! I verified all the tags all over again, corrected the sentences on which the tag order was different, saved and verified again, this time using generic verifier. Then I looked at all sentences with extra spacing marks, deleted tags, etc. and corrected them as well.

In the end, fortunately I was able to clean the file without having to spend more time using translate to fuzzy inside Word.

Again, thank you. I'm always reading you
... See more
Thank you so much Jerzy, you made my day! I verified all the tags all over again, corrected the sentences on which the tag order was different, saved and verified again, this time using generic verifier. Then I looked at all sentences with extra spacing marks, deleted tags, etc. and corrected them as well.

In the end, fortunately I was able to clean the file without having to spend more time using translate to fuzzy inside Word.

Again, thank you. I'm always reading your posts and they have been very enlightening so far.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor crashing plus Error -2147467259

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »