Heloisa Ferreira
Heloisa Ferreira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 2, 2010

After getting rid of my problem with the other file I was translating, I just received a new document and tried to open it with Tag Editor, as usual. The document seems to open (scroll bar and preview bar are shown) but if I click on anything on the screen, the program crashes and closes. No error message is shown.

I run Trados 2007, Office 2007 and Windows Vista. Never had a problem opening files like this one I'm having now.

On a second try, I clicked on the "open seg
... See more
After getting rid of my problem with the other file I was translating, I just received a new document and tried to open it with Tag Editor, as usual. The document seems to open (scroll bar and preview bar are shown) but if I click on anything on the screen, the program crashes and closes. No error message is shown.

I run Trados 2007, Office 2007 and Windows Vista. Never had a problem opening files like this one I'm having now.

On a second try, I clicked on the "open segment" button and the segment to be translated appeared on TW, while my Tag Editor screen was blank and frozen. Below is the error description:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TagEditor.exe
Application Version: 8.2.0.835
Application Timestamp: 4784f448
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdb3b
Exception Code: c015000f
Exception Offset: 00084401
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1046
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

So, what to do on this case? I've already converted the .doc to .rtf and even to .docx, no avail. The file opens normally on Word and other .doc files also open normally on Tag Editor, except for this one.

Thank you!
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:03
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
odd ideas Jan 2, 2010

1) try to export it from Word to any non-MS format, say, to MAC
2) try to save it as Word-95
3) try to save it as HTML
and then open in TE

BTW, is it French/Belgian? There might be some diacritics in headers/footers/footnotes/remarks...

[Редактировалось 2010-01-02 22:12 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:03
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Change some settings in the Filters Jan 2, 2010

Go to SDL International Program Group, open the Trados group and go to Filters, chose Filer settings.
Under Word 200-2003 chose "Display formatting and font mapping" and deselect both options.
Press Save, then Exit.

In Word, chose the "Open" file function (CTRL+O). Point to the file in question and select "Open and repair" (instead of plain Open). Save the file.

When you now start the TagEditor, adjust the window of TagEditor approximately to 2/3 of the widt
... See more
Go to SDL International Program Group, open the Trados group and go to Filters, chose Filer settings.
Under Word 200-2003 chose "Display formatting and font mapping" and deselect both options.
Press Save, then Exit.

In Word, chose the "Open" file function (CTRL+O). Point to the file in question and select "Open and repair" (instead of plain Open). Save the file.

When you now start the TagEditor, adjust the window of TagEditor approximately to 2/3 of the width of your screen. Try now to open the file. This might already help.
If not, install the free Microsoft Office 2007 compatibility pack. Open the file in Word. Save as Word 2007. Close Word. Reopen the file in Word 2007 format. Save again as Word 2003. Check now.
If still no success, try to open the file in OpenOffice and save there as Word.
Try then again.
Collapse

Heloisa Ferreira
Heloisa Ferreira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Jan 3, 2010

Thank you again, Jerzy, you are truly the TM Wizard! I did as you suggested, and it worked, although now I have to work with a 2/3 screen size - if I expand it, Tag Editor will crash again.

The "Open and Repair" on Word found a problematic text box.

Before your reply, I did as Sergei suggested: saved the file as HTML. Although the file opened normally, the text was completely truncated and almost unintelligible.

Thank you again!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The mystery of software Jan 3, 2010

The fact TagEditor is not working properly on certain documents (not only Word) if set to the full width of the screen is really astonishing.
I encountered text viewing problems in TagEditor with text where multiple tabs were used - a quite often missused feature by our customers, so I tried to adjust the width of the program window to get the text shown in a legible way. And then TagEditor did also not crash. So I put 1 and 1 together and started to work wth TE set o just 2/3 of the scree
... See more
The fact TagEditor is not working properly on certain documents (not only Word) if set to the full width of the screen is really astonishing.
I encountered text viewing problems in TagEditor with text where multiple tabs were used - a quite often missused feature by our customers, so I tried to adjust the width of the program window to get the text shown in a legible way. And then TagEditor did also not crash. So I put 1 and 1 together and started to work wth TE set o just 2/3 of the screen width. I even reported that to Trados guys, but they do not use high resolution screens with the font size set to 120 dpi and extra large fonts in Windows obviously and did not encounter similar problems. But this behaviour has been confirmed by some other friends here on ProZ
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Chapeau, Jerzy... Jan 3, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
...I encountered text viewing problems in TagEditor with text where multiple tabs were used - a quite often missused feature by our customers, so I tried to adjust the width of the program window to get the text shown in a legible way. And then TagEditor did also not crash. So I put 1 and 1 together and started to work wth TE set o just 2/3 of the screen width....

I have never experienced it, but then I just do half a mil words/year with TE (g)

Regards

Smo

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Might strongly depend on your used screen resolution Jan 3, 2010

I use very high resolution with extra large fonts - software developer do not do use such.
In Studio for example some parts come garbled on my screen, but no one else seems to have this problem. But people at SDL are aware of this in the meantime.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:03
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
So I am not the only one :-) Jan 5, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I encountered text viewing problems in TagEditor with text where multiple tabs were used - a quite often missused feature by our customers, so I tried to adjust the width of the program window to get the text shown in a legible way. And then TagEditor did also not crash.

I had experienced this problem before -at first I had no idea what causes this problems but after a while I noticed that TE crashes once I increase the size of the window. Still it's rather a surprising "feature"

S

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another one - Tag Editor versus Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »