Thread poster: Grigori Gazarian

Grigori Gazarian
Mexico
Local time: 12:26
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Jan 7, 2010

Hello,

I've just switched to the new version of Trados. I'm trying to set up a new project to translate a batch of Excel 2003 documents (*.xls). When trying to convert the files to translatable format, Trados stops with the following error message: "This .xls file cannot be processed because Microsoft Excel 2000, XP (2002) or 2003 is not installed," followed by the recommendation to save the files as *.xlsx (Excel 2007) and processing them with the corresponding filter. However, this is not an option in this case due to client's instructions (the files are extremely complicated).

I have Office 2007 Professional Plus. I used to run Office XP but currently I have no access to this version. Besides, I think that running two versions concurrently on the same machine is inefficient and may be a source of problems in the future.

So my question is this: is there a way to process these files in their native format without installing other version of Office? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:26
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use ttx format instead Jan 7, 2010

Unfortunately this is some problem with Studio and computers where Excel 2003 and 2007 are installed together or Excel 2003 is not installed.
As you are not allowed to save your files as Excel 2007 (xlsx), use Trados 2007 (being part of your Studio delivery) to prepare the files.
In the Workbench create a translation memory with a corresponding language pair.
Then use the menu Extras - Translate (with an empty TM, that's why I told you to create a new one) to "pretranslate" the Excel files you've got. It will of course not pretranslate anything, as there is nothing in TM, but it will create xls.ttx files for you in a batch.
Now you can create a project in Stdui and use those ttx files instead of Excel. After you finish the translation you will be able to use "Save target as" on each xls.ttx file to create the xls target files.

Grigori Gazarian
Mexico
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This helped! Jan 7, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Unfortunately this is some problem with Studio and computers where Excel 2003 and 2007 are installed together or Excel 2003 is not installed.
As you are not allowed to save your files as Excel 2007 (xlsx), use Trados 2007 (being part of your Studio delivery) to prepare the files.

Thank you very much, Jerzy! This has solved the problem.

However, I find this behavior completely unacceptable. Is this a known bug? I did a quick search on the Knowledge Base but didn't find anything.

Thanks again!

avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
It can only convert using what it has... Jan 8, 2010

I guess the program needs the particular version of Office installed on the computer to be able to convert it. At least that's how I understood it. I had to translate an .xls file a few weeks ago and received the same error message. I followed the recommendation in the message and saved as .xlsx, everything worked fine from there. Once the translation was completed and saved as target, I saved it back as .xls from Excel.

The extra step is rather annoying, I must say! Whether it's an extra step via Excel or TagEditor! I wonder if this is a bug or by design?

Grigori Gazarian
Mexico
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Believe it or not, this is actually by design Jan 8, 2010

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

The extra step is rather annoying, I must say! Whether it's an extra step via Excel or TagEditor! I wonder if this is a bug or by design?

Based on what I found in help, it's a feature:

"If you do not have Microsoft Excel 2000-2003 installed, but you do have Microsoft Excel 2007 (on any computer), use Microsoft Excel 2007 to open the Excel 2003 file and to save the workbook as an Excel 2007 file."

This strikes me as rather odd, as memoQ (for instance) is able to import Excel 2003 documents without a hitch.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Opening both 2003 and 2007 Jan 9, 2010

This strikes me as rather odd, as memoQ (for instance) is able to import Excel 2003 documents without a hitch.

But as far as I am aware not Excel 2007, and nor are they intending to in Version 4 (as far as I am aware). Currently you have to use this workaround in Studio for 2003 if you only have 2007 installed but we will improve this situation very soon.

Regards

Paul

Grigori Gazarian
Mexico
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's good news! Jan 11, 2010

Currently you have to use this workaround in Studio for 2003 if you only have 2007 installed but we will improve this situation very soon.

That's good news! Will this improvement be offered as a hotfix or as a part of SP2?

avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Paul! Jan 11, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

But as far as I am aware not Excel 2007, and nor are they intending to in Version 4 (as far as I am aware). Currently you have to use this workaround in Studio for 2003 if you only have 2007 installed but we will improve this situation very soon.

Regards

Paul

Always listeningicon_smile.gif

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Using ttx Jan 14, 2010

Thanks, Jerzy, for suggesting the ttx workaround for Excel 2003 files in Studio.

It was one of those rare occasions when my client hadn't asked me for a ttx bilingual file as the delivery format, and I've had to end up converting the Excel to ttx for other reasons. Pity, I was looking forward to working directly with Studio and not going through Tag Editor / Workbench. Oh well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel 2003 and SDL Trados 2009 SP1

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search