How can I return text to original format after Trados chops the segments
Thread poster: Chris Bruton

Chris Bruton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:16
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Jan 8, 2010

In other words, after translation I have broken margins everywhere with sentences chopped off in the middle. Is there any easy fix?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use TagEditor Jan 8, 2010

Unfortunately Trados moves in MS Word documents the same way a bull would move in a pottery shop as we say in Spain. I strongly recommend to re-translate your document using TagEditor instead of translating it with Trados from within MS Word.

TagEditor will yield a translated version with exactly the same formatting as you had before. This approach will probably be a lot quicker than fixing the formatting in MS Word if you are not very familiar with MS Word in general.

To translate with TagEditor, run TagEditor, open your original untranslated document (before doing so, make sure you have Translator's Workbench open with the right memory, the one you used when you translated in MS Word), translate the document (you might have to add some tags; there are options in the menus for that), and after translation use File > Save as target to obtain your translated document.

As Trados is not very intuitive tool (yes, I am being very benevolent this morning), I would suggest that you take some training course about Trados offered in your area. It will help you very much in your work and will help you avoid a ton of doubts and frustration.

Good luck!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:16
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Converted PDF? Jan 8, 2010

Reformat the document properyly. In convverted PDF even a change without any CAT (Trados or any other) may result in a complete change of layout due to strange formatting.
Is the problem casued by something else, so most probably you have a discrepance between style and local formatting.
Usage of Tageditor or Studio is indeed the easiest way to get rid of all such problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I return text to original format after Trados chops the segments

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search