Converting MultiTerm termbase into the XLS format
Thread poster: sektor666
sektor666
Local time: 05:10
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 8, 2010

Hi,
does anyone know of a way of converting MultiTerm termbases into the XLS format?
I tried converting my termbase using the tab-delimited txt as an intermediate format, but that didn't work very well - all the terms that didn't have a 'note' or 'source' field were missing a cell in the xls and had to be relocated manually to their correct source/translation columns, which is a very painstaking process in termbases with several thousand terms.
I am therefore looking for a software solution which would work in a similar way to MultiTerm Convert, but in the other direction.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Txt export broken Jan 8, 2010

I discovered that the txt export is useless much in the same way as you just did... It's a joke.

If I really wanted to do this, I would do an xml export and hack that into a tab delimited format with search and replace. I don't know of any "official" solution.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Recipe Jan 8, 2010

If you are hell bent on making that xls, here's some advice:

First of all, size. If the termbase is not gigantic (under 50,000 entries), word processors and such like should work. If it is gigantic, I would use sed and vim.

Open the exported xml and check its structure. Say, there are no line breaks in it, each record starts with a common tag like and each English term is preceded by the tag and followed by .
Replace the NewTerm tag with a line break (^p in MS Word) and save the file. Replace both the English and /English tag with a tab (^t). Copy-paste the whole mess into Excel. The second column should contain your English terms, you can delete the rest.
Then you can go back to the saved file, rinse and repeat.

If the termbase has synonyms in it, that complicates things a bit but not much.

[Edited at 2010-01-08 23:07 GMT]

jyconte
Local time: 20:10
converting MultiTerm termbases into the XLS format Jan 9, 2010

It is simple when you have an XML file, just open it in Excel and save it as an Excel (xls) file.

sektor666
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jan 9, 2010

@FarkasAndras
thanks for the tips, will give it a shot and post my results here.

@jyconte
i don't know where you got that idea, xml files have different structures from xls files, not to mention lots of information (such as last modification date, name of person making the modification) that i don't want in my final xls. so that definitely won't work.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Fighting the forum Jan 9, 2010

I just noticed the forum software stole my tags because I edited my post. Here it goes corrected:

Open the exported xml and check its structure. Say, there are no line breaks in it, each record starts with a common tag like <NewTerm> and each English term is preceded by the tag <English> and followed by </English>.

Sorry, but I can see you got the gist anyway.

[Edited at 2010-01-09 15:03 GMT]

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
See related thread Jun 22, 2010

If anyone else should be looking for a solution to the same problem, see this related thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/160039-converting_multilingual_termbase_into_excel_document.html

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Third-party tool Jun 22, 2010

You can also try a tool called "Excelling MultiTerm" which claims to do the job well, although I have not tried it myself:

http://www.experttools.at/index_new.php?mmid=6&lmid=46&set_lang=1&new_lang=English

Daniel

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Across Jun 23, 2010

Daniel García wrote:

You can also try a tool called "Excelling MultiTerm" which claims to do the job well, although I have not tried it myself:

http://www.experttools.at/index_new.php?mmid=6&lmid=46&set_lang=1&new_lang=English

Well, it sunds great but the price is rather prohibitive.
Across (free of charge for freelance translators) should do the job too.
It's somehow lenghty but it works.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting MultiTerm termbase into the XLS format

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search