Thread poster: jameslao
jameslao  Identity Verified
China
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2010

Hi all,

I'm using trial SDL Trados Studio 2009 and I'm wondering whether it is possible to generate a combined output of the original text and translation shown in parallel? That is, one paragraph of the original text followed by the translated text, then another paragraph of the original with translation, and so on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
James,

[Edited at 2010-01-09 17:22 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not directly Jan 9, 2010

You can make a two-column table in Word and copy the source to the left and the target (translation) to the right. If you insert a new row for each paragraph and make the table lines invisible you have your bi-lingual text. Hope you get the idea.

Regards
Heinrich

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:56
English
Did you know about "Print Preview" Jan 9, 2010

Hi,

On reading Heinrichs post I'm not sure what you actually wanted, but you could try the Print Preview (Ctrl+P) which will render an html view in your browser with the source on the left and the target on the right. This is good for any file type that you are translating and you also have a few options to show tags in the preview, or comments etc.

If what you wanted was a horizontal preview with the first source paragraph on one row, and then the target the row below it, which is what I thought you meant, then for the time being you will need to manually copy and past as Heinrich suggests, either from Studio or the html preview.

Regards

Paul

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Excel Jan 10, 2010

Sorry I misunderstood your goal. If you need to have the translation of a paragraph below the source paragraph you can achieve it in Excel. First separate the paragraphs in both languages by creating a table, copy them into Excel and program a third column so that in C1 comes A1, in C2 B1, in C3 A2 etc.
Regards
Heinrich

jameslao  Identity Verified
China
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
excel and re-import? Jan 10, 2010

Hi Heinrich and Paul,

Thank you for your answers! I'm thinking about exporting to excel and concatenate the orignal and translated texts, then re-import it back to Trados as translation so that it can be formatted.

Best regards,
James,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to output original followed by translation

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search