Thread poster: Stanislaw Czech, MCIL

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:21
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 11, 2010

In Tag Editor I can easily save biligual file as itd, however from what I see in Studio 2009 I can save as itd either source or target but not a bilingual file.

The only available option I see for saving a biligual file is saving in format: sdlxliff, is it normal? If yes what should I do when my client want's to receive back itd file he sent me (I cannot import/export as it has caused problems in the past - I need to work with itd all the time)?

For the time being I decided to translate it in Tag Editor which, but as Studio 2009 is IMHO much more user friendly and productive it would be nice to find a way to save as itd bilingual file translated in Studio.

TIA
Stanislaw

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:21
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
When you open an itd file in Studio Jan 11, 2010

you can also save the finished (translated) file as itd.
The function "Save target as..." will give you the option to save either the bilingual itd or the source format, from which the itd was created.
The same applies to ttx.

Maybe I should explain:
Studio treats itd as source. So when you translate with Studio itd is converted to sdlxliff, which is the bilingual format of Studio. But then when you produce target, the target for Studio is the source format, isn't it? When INX is opened, target is also INX. But when ITD is opened, what is target then? Correct - ITD is target. In this very special case (ITD or TTX, both bilingual formats) you can also save their source format as target, provided the real source file (the source of ITD or TTX) is present on your machine.

[Edited at 2010-01-11 12:39 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does this option become available once translation is finished? Jan 11, 2010

Thank you Jerzy - when exactly this option should be available - I haven't finished translating yet but for the time being the only available format is sdlxliff?

BR
Stanislaw

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Save target as... Jan 11, 2010

Is available always, when the file is open for translation in Studio (in the editor view).
Just click the "File" menu and chose "Save target as..." - you will see the options available.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I understand now Jan 11, 2010

I was mislead by previous experiences with Tag Editor where I was using option "save target as" to save target text in the final format for example doc, and this option does not save source text.

Thank you very much.

Stanislaw

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Different source file Jan 11, 2010

This is a very specific situation with Studio.
Looking form the obvious point of view, "Save target as..." means indeed saving the target translated text, but not bilingual text.
However, one should bear in mind, that our source in that case is a itd or ttx file, which is bilingual per definition. So now when you say "Saver target as..." the target file hast itd or ttx format - and thus is bilingual. Studio gives you also the option to save the "real" target (the fional format), but this works only when the "real" source (the format from which ttx or itd has been created from).

Jaroslav Tomiczek  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Czech
Solution for cooperation between Trados 2007 and Trados Studio 2009? Jan 18, 2010

So, does it mean, that if I need bilingual final translated files to handle to a client/proofreader, I need to pre-segment the file before starting work, ie. copy source to target.
In case of ttx or doc I would check "Segment unknown sentences" in Tools/Translate in Workbench with empty TM.
Then in Studio 2009 after translation and saving as "Save target as..." I would get bilingual files for clients/proofreaders, who use only Trados 2007.
Would that work?
Thanks.
Jaro

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You don't even need to presegment them Jan 18, 2010

Just create a ttx or itd file in SDL Trados 2007 or SDLX and translate this one in Studio.
After the translation is done, just "Save target as" and you have a bilingual ttx or itd file.
Presegmentation is only necessary, if you need to keep the segmentation exactly as it would have been under T2007/SDLX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 Service Pack 1 - saving biligual file as itd

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search