Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:35
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 11, 2010

Dear Collegues,

I have a strange problem... Hope you understand and can help me.

I am working on MIF files in Trados Studio 2009 SP1. I have a huge TM wih nearly 70% pretranslated and all other segments 85-99% matches.

As I am working through all segments, making a lot of corrections (even in 100% matches and repetitions), I work using CTRL + ALT + ENTER) to get to the next segment and not to the next untranslated segment in the text (which would be CTRL + ENTER).

There are a lot of changes I have made and I use CTRL + T for segments I have already corrected. Now I always get different reactions to the shortcut CTRL +T and CTRL + ALT +.ENTER. Sometimes Studio inserts the chosen context match and I have to confirm the segment to switch to the next one (using CTRL + ALT + ENTER). And sometimes Studio directly switches to the next unconfirmed segment after inserting the chosen context match from the TM (which is then confirmed automatically).
Sometimes Studio seems to accept my whish to switch to the next segment (even if confirmed) and sometimes not...

I have already tried to figure out if there is some kind of rule for this... but I couldn't find one.

It annoys me to get those jumps to some segment far down the page... As it is so important for me to read all segments.

Does anyone has an idea what this could be?

Thanks a million!

Leena

PS. One example: I have changed the segment (French: Obligatoire - German: Obligatorisch to: German "Pflicht") now sometimes when inserting the the translation "Pflicht" using CTRL+T the curser stays in the segment and I have to confirm manually and sometimes I get a jump to the next unconfirmed segment. It's so strange...

[Edited at 2010-01-12 10:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
further information required? Jan 12, 2010

As there has been no answer so far, I was thinking about Jerzys topic...
Hope I gave all information you need...

I am working on a Windows XP desktop computer and on a Vista based laptop. I have the same problem on both machines...

If I left out any important information you need, please let me know. Thank you.

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
rather more than needed, but also less Jan 12, 2010

Leena vom Hofe wrote:
... thinking about Jerzys topic...
Hope I gave all information you need...

Well, Leena,

You've managed to convey your confusion pretty well. To begin with: those shortcuts aren't exactly Universally Applicable; they depend upon profile and further customisation. Secondly: there are three types of 100% matches: context matches, full matches, autopropagated reps; confirmation of these is treated differently. And, oh, neither should you forget Multiple (full) matches… Thirdly: you are annoyed by what a CAT* is designed to do: get on with it.

Perhaps the following will help:

In Options:
Editor/Automation: disable Confirm segment after applying an exact match
Editor/Autopropagation: disable?

Scroll through your document, rather than Goto next (-- you probably already have "Enable implicit row activation" checked in the Editor options -- which is good if you're mainly scrolling).

Using both CtrlAltEnter and CtrlEnter: you're likely to mistype here: change your shortcuts.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Best,

Stefan

*or TEnT, as seems to be the environmentally correct acronym today.

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry for this... Jan 13, 2010

Stefan de Boeck wrote:

Well, Leena,

You've managed to convey your confusion pretty well.

Sorry for this, Stefan...

And thanks for reading and answering nevertheless...;-)

I tried your solutions and it doesn't really solve my problem...
All that has changed is, that now I have to confirm the segment in which I entered for example the context match using CTRL + T but the curser still jumps into some segment far down the page...leaving the segment unconfirmed...

So I really stay confused... As I told you above, I could not find a rule. It apparently has nothing to do with 100% Matches or Context Matches or something... Studio reacts differently for the same segment every now and then...(See my example with the German term "Pflicht").

Thanks a million nevertheless.

Leena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different actions for shortcuts in Studio

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search