TM / Workbench - how to display the originating file of the segment?
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:02
Member (2008)
English to Czech
Jan 11, 2010

Hello,

how can I change the settings for a TM in Translator's Workbench (8.0 / Trados 2007) to display not only source, target, date etc., but also name of the file where the segment comes from?

Thanks!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Text fields Jan 11, 2010

Hi Tomas,
to do this, you will have to use text fields that will be stored with the individual TUs. The text fields can store information, such as the document name, number, version etc.
You can create the corresponding fields in Workbench under File > Setup... > Fields tab.

[Upraveno: 2010-01-11 18:54 GMT]

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
OK Jan 11, 2010

OK, I see, but how do I make TW "know" that the new field "file" (example) with attribute "filename" (example) should display the filename?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TM Maintenance Jan 12, 2010

Hi Tomas,
I may be exactly wrong as they may be a more automated way, but the way I do it is to use Maintenance, filter out all the new segments after a translation is finished and add the new field value manually. This is much easier in Studio where you can use the Batch Edit feature.

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
project settings Jan 12, 2010

how do I make TW "know" that the new field "file" (...) should display?

You could do this using the TWB Project settings dialog; when opening a new file to translate, you can enter the file name in your file text field. No further automation.
I'd sort of advise against this as the space for displaying these fields' values is rather limited. Not worth the trouble. Adding a particular client name or a similar 'tag' would be more rewarding.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM / Workbench - how to display the originating file of the segment?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search