HELP! Trados 8.2.0.835 words in capital letters go uncapitalized after cleanup!?
Thread poster: peter81
Jan 12, 2010

Can anyone help me please?

I am using Trados 8.2.0.835 and i have a bilingual rtf-file with headings in capital letters. When i do my cleanup, those headings go all uncapitalized in the TM.
The same happens with upper case letters with accents (French).

Is that a problem of Trados or is it a Word problem? How can it be solved?

Thanks for your help!

Peter81

Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 20:19
English to Dutch
+ ...
tags Jan 12, 2010

headings go all uncapitalized in the TM.
The same happens with upper case letters with accents (French).

I'd suppose the upper case is the result of formatting tags (not keyboard input) -- any tags found in the TM? Not that they should.

So, basically, everything is working just fine.

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
All caps or Small caps Jan 12, 2010

The font in Word is probably set to All Caps or Small Caps (select the text and press Ctrl+D to check). If it is, the text is probably typed with small letters, but they appear to be capital letters in Word. In the TM, they are consequently small. After cleanup, you might want to restore the Caps by updating the styles.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A general recommendation... Jan 13, 2010

...with Word files and Trados is to use TagEditor. Your problem is caused by Trados' inclination towards destroying styles and formats when you translate with Trados in Word. This is an issue that existed for 10 years without Trados (and later SDL) caring much about it. We had to endure it for a decade. A safer approach is to only translate Word files with TagEditor. Good luck!

peter81
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Thanks for your help guys!! Jan 13, 2010

cheers,

peter81

peter81
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 13, 2010

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

The font in Word is probably set to All Caps or Small Caps (select the text and press Ctrl+D to check). If it is, the text is probably typed with small letters, but they appear to be capital letters in Word. In the TM, they are consequently small. After cleanup, you might want to restore the Caps by updating the styles.

yes, that was the problem...thank you very much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP! Trados 8.2.0.835 words in capital letters go uncapitalized after cleanup!?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search