How does SDL Trados Studio 2009 deals with two or three columns in the Excel file
Thread poster: Maika Vicente Navarro

Maika Vicente Navarro  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:32
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 12, 2010

Dear All,

I have been thinking on acquiring a licence for the new SDL Trados Studio 2009. But I am not sure whether the program can do the following:

My main customer sends me the files in .xls format with a column (A) in English and I have to produce the translation in another column (B).

Is it possible to do it directy with Trados?

In some of my .xls files, we have a third column with comments regarding the original source, normally for more context. Can I see them with Trados?

According to Trados chat people you can produce your translation in a second column but I wanted to be sure of it.

Does anyone has a Trados 2009 and now whether it is possible?

Thank you very much in advance for your collaboration.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:32
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No problem in translating Excel files Jan 12, 2010

and you can easilly tell Trados which colum is to be translated.
To do so you just place the content for translation in the corresponding column(s) and hide all other columns, which are not to be translated.
Does any column contain comments, you will hovewer not see them in Trados - and I do not know any method of getting them there. The only method I know is to open te Excel file as suc and look there.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:32
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
I am afraid that it will overwrite the English text Jan 12, 2010

rather than place translation in the next column but it is not a big problem.

You just create new file for translation, translate your column with English text, save translated fileand than you open both original file and translated one, copy translated column and paste it into original file in the column next to English.

Cheers
Stanislaw

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does SDL Trados Studio 2009 deals with two or three columns in the Excel file

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search