Sven De Clercq
Sven De Clercq
Belgium
Local time: 12:25
German to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 14, 2010

Hi all,

When I start Trados 2009 (SP1), the following error message pops up: "Failed to initialize view 'Editor view'. The language direction of an element in the TM Cascade is incompatible with the cascade's language direction." The weird thing is that it came out of the blue. Trados always worked before...

I have uninstalled Trados 2009 and re-installed it, but it still didn't work. After that, I uninstalled all products from SDL and re-installed everything, but to no
... See more
Hi all,

When I start Trados 2009 (SP1), the following error message pops up: "Failed to initialize view 'Editor view'. The language direction of an element in the TM Cascade is incompatible with the cascade's language direction." The weird thing is that it came out of the blue. Trados always worked before...

I have uninstalled Trados 2009 and re-installed it, but it still didn't work. After that, I uninstalled all products from SDL and re-installed everything, but to no avail. I googled and searched the customer portal of SDL but I can't find any solution. I take the necessary precautions to keep viruses and spyware out, so I don't think that's the problem.

Is there anybody who has had this problem before? If you can't help me with this exact problem, could somebody tell me if it is possible to open/extract an sdlxliff file for proofreading? Or could I export a TM from Studio to tmx without the use of Trados? I need to proofread a file quite urgently and all I have is a sdlxliff file. If I could export the TM to tmx I could proofread it with Trados 2007.

All help is very welcome! Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Failure to initialize Editor View Jan 15, 2010

This problem has suddenly popped up for me too. I also need to solve this problem urgently.

Sven De Clercq
Sven De Clercq
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nobody? Jan 19, 2010

It seems I'm not the only one with this problem. Is there really nobody who can provide a solution?

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
clean registry? Jan 19, 2010

eSDeC wrote:
It seems I'm not the only one...

Well, right, something similar happened to me once -- I don't exactly enjoy looking into these extraterrestrial system errors, so this is really only a bit of anecdote.

I was trying out the views in the Editor, i.e. dragging Concordance, TM results, Termbase viewer … all over the place outside the Editor window and generally stretching it a bit. I also had a termbase open. I shut down Studio without resizing the lot to their default sizes & positions.

I was curious, Would Studio remember my wonderful Constellation of Views?

Upon restarting I was notified that One had failed to initialise the Editor view, and that a Key was already in Use by some Thing or Other.

I dutifully uninstalled Studio.

I also asked McAfee to clean the registry ("Register opschonen") which is only a click and a two second wait away. I very likely rebooted; only then did I reinstall the software.

No crashes since. I now always close the windows before leaving the house. And turn off the gas.

[Edited at 2010-01-19 13:31 GMT]

Sven De Clercq
Sven De Clercq
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried that... Jan 19, 2010

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I have already re-installed the whole package after I had uninstalled everything (even a second time with Revo Uninstaller, which removes a whole bunch of leftovers from the original uninstaller, like registry keys etc.). I also clean my registry regularly with CCleaner.

I hadn't changed a thing in Studio before this error popped up, it suddenly just refused to start. No idea what to do next!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Jan 19, 2010

Hello,

It is possible that your Studio profiles have become corrupt. Please go to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\ and delete the following files:

BaseSettings.xml
Plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

If you are using Windows Vista/Windows 7 then it will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,
... See more
Hello,

It is possible that your Studio profiles have become corrupt. Please go to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\ and delete the following files:

BaseSettings.xml
Plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

If you are using Windows Vista/Windows 7 then it will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2010-01-19 16:21 GMT]
Collapse

Sven De Clercq
Sven De Clercq
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jan 19, 2010

Hi Gareth,

It works! I can't believe I've wasted all this time when the solution is that simple...

Thank you very much for your help!

Sven De Clercq
Sven De Clercq
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem persists? Jan 20, 2010

Hi,

Unfortunately another error message pops up when I try to open a file for translation. Now it says: The language direction of an element in the TM Cascade is incompatible with the cascade's language direction.

Trados can be launched now but I can't open a file to translate!

Please help as soon as possible.

erothero
erothero  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:25
German to English
Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work May 14, 2010

I tried to uninstall and reinstall SDL 2009 SP2 but this didn't work. Any ideas?

Liz

Pedro Castro
Pedro Castro  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Want to retake the subject Oct 28, 2011

Hello there! I successfully finished and delivered a project and, right when I resumed another one, I got exactly the same message: "The language direction of an element in the TM Cascade is incompatible with the cascade's language direction".

I already tried Gareth's solution.
I already cleaned the registry.
I already shut down my computer and turned it on again.
I already uninstalled and reinstalled Studio.

None of these worked. Maybe
... See more
Hello there! I successfully finished and delivered a project and, right when I resumed another one, I got exactly the same message: "The language direction of an element in the TM Cascade is incompatible with the cascade's language direction".

I already tried Gareth's solution.
I already cleaned the registry.
I already shut down my computer and turned it on again.
I already uninstalled and reinstalled Studio.

None of these worked. Maybe the SDL has already studied this issue?

Only SDLXIFFs which I have already worked on open after getting error messages, but, when I want to process a new file so as to save it as a Studio file, this is what happens:

1. Studio opens.

2. An error message appears: "The language direction of an element in the TM Cascade is incompatible with the cascade's language direction".

3. After clicking "OK", the "Open document" box appears. Then, I realize that the memory list is empty (Just as if I didn't have any).

4. After clicking "OK", I get the error message once again: "The language direction of an element in the TM Cascade is incompatible with the cascade's language direction".

5. After clicking "OK", I get a pop-up box that reads:

Error processing command line arguments: The language direction of an element in the TM Cascade is incompatible with the cascade's language direction.

USAGE: SDLTradosStudio.exe [/help|/?] /arg1 val1 /arg2 val2

Task: NoAutoUpdate
Description: Starts the application without automatically checking for updates.
Usage: SDLTradosStudio.exe /noautoupdate
Arguments:
/noautoupdate Starts the application without automatically checking for updates.

Task: Create Project
Description: Starts the Create Project wizard.
Usage: SDLTradosStudio.exe /createProject [/files [ ...]] [/name ] [/template ] [/referenceProject ]
Arguments:
/createProject Starts the Create Project wizard.
/files The full file path of one or more documents or folders to add to the Create Project wizard.
/name The name of the Project
/template An existing template name or file path to use.
/referenceProject An existing reference project file path to use.

Task: Open Document
Description: Opens a document or a number of documents in the Editor View.
Usage: SDLTradosStudio.exe /openDocument [ ...]
Arguments:
/openDocument The full file path of one or more documents to open.

Task: Open File Based TM
Description: Opens a file based TM or a number of file based TMs in the TM View.
Usage: SDLTradosStudio.exe /openFileTm [ ...]
Arguments:
/openFileTm The full file path of one or more TMs to open.

Task: Open Package
Description: Opens a package in the Package View.
Usage: SDLTradosStudio.exe /openPackage
Arguments:
/openPackage The full file path of the package to open.

Task: Open Project
Description: Opens a project in the Projects View.
Usage: SDLTradosStudio.exe /openProject
Arguments:
/openProject The full file path of a Project to open.

Task: Show Advanced Settings
Description: Use this argument to display the 'Advanced' pages of the File Types settings
Usage: SDLTradosStudio.exe /showAdvancedSettings
Arguments:
/showAdvancedSettings Use this argument to display the 'Advanced' pages of the File Types settings

--------------------------------------------------

I am pretty sure that more people than those that have participated in this forum are getting the same problem. Maybe some other file is damaged or there is actually an issue with the C++? I hope that I gave extensive information on the issue. Thank you!

Regards,

Pedro CASTRO
Collapse

Pedro Castro
Pedro Castro  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Got a temporary bypass solution Oct 28, 2011

Hi again! I found a temporary solution for the TM-related issue. Instead of double-clicking the SDLXLIFFs or trying to make a conversion by left-clicking on a file from a Windows Explorer folder window, start a new project from Studio and follow all the step.

The files will be converted and memory access will have no problem. This, however, does not solve the problem that our friends who only get converted files. : (

Hope this helps for anyone who has the same problem.
... See more
Hi again! I found a temporary solution for the TM-related issue. Instead of double-clicking the SDLXLIFFs or trying to make a conversion by left-clicking on a file from a Windows Explorer folder window, start a new project from Studio and follow all the step.

The files will be converted and memory access will have no problem. This, however, does not solve the problem that our friends who only get converted files. : (

Hope this helps for anyone who has the same problem. I feel that I was lucky this did not happen in the middle of a big project!

My only suggestion is that you don't trust the software at 100%. Errors do appear.

Regards,

PEDRO CASTRO

[Editado a las 2011-10-28 16:27 GMT]
Collapse

HarryHedgehog
HarryHedgehog
Germany
German to English
Studio 2011: Failed to initialize view "projectsView" Aug 11, 2013

Hi there,

Resurrecting an old thread with a similar problem.

After much recalcitrance (my last attempt to update Studio failed miserably), I finally updated to Studio 2011 SP2R - 10.4.3079.1, in the hope of eliminating some annoying random bug messages.

The update seemed to work fine, although two separate updates were needed (to install CU 9 as well). I then rebooted Windows.

Now, when I try to start Studio, it automatically opens the Files vi
... See more
Hi there,

Resurrecting an old thread with a similar problem.

After much recalcitrance (my last attempt to update Studio failed miserably), I finally updated to Studio 2011 SP2R - 10.4.3079.1, in the hope of eliminating some annoying random bug messages.

The update seemed to work fine, although two separate updates were needed (to install CU 9 as well). I then rebooted Windows.

Now, when I try to start Studio, it automatically opens the Files view of the last project I edited. But when I try to switch to the Projects view, I get an error message "Failed to initialize view 'ProjectsView'". Each subsequent attempt to open the Projects view generates the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Error details:
[SDLErrorDetails time="11.08.2013 19:19:19"]
[ErrorMessage]Failed to initialize view 'ProjectsView'.[/ErrorMessage]
[Exception]
[Type]Sdl.Desktop.Platform.StudioException, Sdl.Desktop.Platform, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888[/Type]
[HelpLink /]
[Source]Sdl.Desktop.Platform[/Source]
[StackTrace][![CDATA[ at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.EnsureViewSite(IViewReference viewReference)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.set_ActiveView(IViewReference value)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.StudioWindowForm._explorerBar_ActiveGroupChanged(Object sender, GroupEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinExplorerBar.UltraExplorerBar.OnActiveGroupChanged(GroupEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinExplorerBar.UltraExplorerBar.FireEvent(UltraExplorerBarEventIds id, EventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinExplorerBar.UltraExplorerBar.set_ActiveGroup(UltraExplorerBarGroup value)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinExplorerBar.UltraExplorerBarGroupHeaderUIElement.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e, Boolean adjustableArea, UIElement& captureMouseForElement)
at Infragistics.Win.UIElement.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e, Boolean adjustableArea, UIElement& captureMouseForElement)
at Infragistics.Win.TextUIElementBase.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e, Boolean adjustableArea, UIElement& captureMouseForElement)
at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseDownHelper(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.Utilities.ProcessEvent(Control control, ProcessEvent eventToProcess, EventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraControlBase.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinExplorerBar.UltraExplorerBar.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]][/StackTrace]
[InnerException]
[Type]Sdl.Desktop.Platform.StudioException, Sdl.Desktop.Platform, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888[/Type]
[HelpLink /]
[StackTrace][![CDATA[ at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.GetAction(String id)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgMenu.CreateCommandBarAction(String actionId)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.SubCommandBar.Insert(Int32 index, String actionId)
at Sdl.TranslationStudio.ProjectManagement.ProjectsView.ProjectsView.FillCommandBars()
at Sdl.TranslationStudio.ProjectManagement.ProjectsView.ProjectsView.OnInit(IViewSite site, ISettingsGroup settings)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.AbstractView.Init(IViewSite site, ISettingsGroup settings)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.EnsureViewSite(IViewReference viewReference)]]][/StackTrace]
[/InnerException]
[/Exception]
[Environment]
[ProductName]SDL Trados Studio[/ProductName]
[ProductVersion]10.0.0.0[/ProductVersion]
[EntryAssemblyFileVersion]10.4.3079.1[/EntryAssemblyFileVersion]
[OperatingSystem]Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium [/OperatingSystem]
[ServicePack]Service Pack 1[/ServicePack]
[OperatingSystemLanguage]1031[/OperatingSystemLanguage]
[CodePage]1252[/CodePage]
[LoggedOnUser][redacted for privacy][/LoggedOnUser]
[DotNetFrameWork]2.0.50727.5472[/DotNetFrameWork]
[ComputerName][redacted for privacy][/ComputerName]
[ConnectedToNetwork]True[/ConnectedToNetwork]
[PhysicalMemory]16743568 MB[/PhysicalMemory]
[/Environment]
[/SDLErrorDetails]

And just to be really, really annoying, the program gives me the same "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message when I try to quit - so I have to kill the process manually with the Windows Task Manager.

Error details:
[SDLErrorDetails time="11.08.2013 19:00:26"]
[ErrorMessage]Object reference not set to an instance of an object.[/ErrorMessage]
[Exception]
[Type]System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089[/Type]
[HelpLink /]
[StackTrace][![CDATA[ at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.AbstractDockingView.SaveState(ISettingsGroup settings)
at Sdl.TranslationStudio.ProjectManagement.ProjectsView.ProjectsView.SaveState(ISettingsGroup settings)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.SaveState()
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.OnClosed()
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow._form_Closed(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnClosed(EventArgs e)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.StudioWindowForm.OnClosed(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.StudioWindowForm.WndProc(Message& message)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]][/StackTrace]
[/Exception]
[Environment]
[ProductName]SDL Trados Studio[/ProductName]
[ProductVersion]10.0.0.0[/ProductVersion]
[EntryAssemblyFileVersion]10.4.3079.1[/EntryAssemblyFileVersion]
[OperatingSystem]Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium [/OperatingSystem]
[ServicePack]Service Pack 1[/ServicePack]
[OperatingSystemLanguage]1031[/OperatingSystemLanguage]
[CodePage]1252[/CodePage]
[LoggedOnUser][redacted for privacy][/LoggedOnUser]
[DotNetFrameWork]2.0.50727.5472[/DotNetFrameWork]
[ComputerName][redacted for privacy][/ComputerName]
[ConnectedToNetwork]True[/ConnectedToNetwork]
[PhysicalMemory]16743568 MB[/PhysicalMemory]
[/Environment]
[/SDLErrorDetails]

Now, to edit an active project, I have to open the sdlxliff file manually from within the project directory in the Studio folder - and add the project memories again - each time I launch the program, which is a clear drop in usability. If I try to open the project package with File -> Open Package or File -> Open Project, Studio says "This project has already been opened in Trados Studio 2011 and added to the project list" (which I of course can't display).

Furthermore, since I can't open the package from the Projects view, I can't create a return package, either, which my client is expecting of me - making this matter rather urgent.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone from SDL Trados could let me know if there's a simple solution to this problem. I searched the SDL KB and Google, but could not find a single hit involving the Projects view, only the Editor view (the same applies to this thread).

Alternatively, if anyone else has encountered this error and found a workaround, please share.

Thanks in advance,
Harry.

[Edited at 2013-08-11 17:26 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
projects view error message Aug 11, 2013

HarryHedgehog wrote:

But when I try to switch to the Projects view, I get an error message "Failed to initialize view 'ProjectsView'".

I suggest you:
Close Studio.
Delete the 3 xml files: BaseSettings.xml, Plugincache.xml, UserSettings.xml here:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0

If this does not help then try deleting "projects.xml" located in
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects

Your project list will disappear and you will need to re-open your projects in Studio to have them back in the list. To do this go to File > Open > Project and browse to the project you want to open. It will then be added to the Projects list Studio.

HTH,
Emma

HarryHedgehog
HarryHedgehog
Germany
German to English
Thanks, but it didn't help Aug 11, 2013

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the attempt, but no dice, I'm afraid.

Deleting the xml files from Users > [username] > AppData > Roaming > SDL > SDL Trados Studio > 10.0.0.0 simply resets my settings, but I get the same error messages.

Deleting the projects.xml file seems to have no effect whatsoever.

Regards,
Harry

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe try a full reset? Aug 12, 2013

Hello Harry,

If you have tried the usual solution to this problem and it did not help then can you try a full reset as described here: http://goo.gl/5xyfHx

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: Failed to initialize editor view

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »