Natalia Conovca  Identity Verified
Moldova
Local time: 00:36
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jan 14, 2010

Hello,

I am working now on a translation from Romanian into English and I cannot translate the sentences with footnotes. The footnotes do not open properly - they turn into a weird string of characters. After using several times the "undo" tab, I finally manage to translate the footnote and go to the main body of the text. Here I have a new surprise: after closing the translation unit, the entire sentence changes into a string of characters.

This is my sentence before translation: "În Republica Moldova, dreptul la protecţie socială este garantat prin Constituţie1", and this is how it looks after: "5id3439264680501id794565983610sid1103314480642494id15087879pgbrdrfootparrtlchpnindent720qc720cf16tchidctlpar, Conven_ de Acàei, _rtlch_".

If anyone has a solution to my problem, please help! Thanks in advance!

Natalia

[Editat la 2010-01-14 13:59 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Details please Jan 14, 2010

Nobody can give you advice if you not specify what are your system details. You might also search the forums with "footnotes, trados".
If you don't use Tageditor, try Tageditor by all means.

Regards
Heinrich

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:36
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use Tageditor or Studio Jan 14, 2010

Most probably your Word document is not properly formatted.
Do you use the Trados function for translating footnotes or how do you proceed?

Moldova
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word document not properly formatted Jan 14, 2010

I also believe the Word document is not properly formatted, as I had the same problem with another document (while for dozens of other documents I translate the footnotes without any problems). In that case I deleted all footnotes from the source document and then added the manually after cleanup. However I would not prefer this option this time, as I have over one hundred pages of text, with at least 3-4 footnotes per page.

Now I am trying to open the file with Tageditor and I get error 80003 "TagEditor is unable to open this document because the file type is not recognised".

If there is a problem with formatting, can it be identified and settled somehow?

PS. I use Trados 6.5. However, I tried to do this translation with Trados 7 on my friend's machine and had the same problems.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:36
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This version of Trados does not suport Word in Tageditor Jan 14, 2010

But in that case and for the future it would make much sense to upgrade, as the handling of Word files with Trados in Word can be a nightmare.
I'm afraid there is not much help we can offer you here for your problem.
What you still can do, is to use SDLX instead.

Moldova
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found a solution! Jan 14, 2010

Thank you, Heinrich and Jerzy for your inputs.

I have found the way out thanks to one of Jerzy's replies on other topics. I converted the doc file into rtf, closed it, opened it and converted it back to doc. And the footnotes work nowicon_smile.gif.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS handles inappropriately the translation units with footnotes

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search