Trados word count of word doc without accounting for (hidden) text contained in links
Thread poster: Verena Schmidt (X)
Verena Schmidt (X)
Verena Schmidt (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:40
English to German
+ ...
Jan 14, 2010

Dear colleagues,

First of all, my Trados, Word and system version:

SDL Trados 2007 SP1 (Build 826)
Word 2007
Windows Vista

I have some Word-documents here which contain a lot of links. When I put my mouse over a hyperlinked word (e.g. "illumination"), a "text box" pops up with the definition of this very word. I started working on one of the files in TagEditor and noted that this "hidden" text (as it only appears in Word when putting the cursor
... See more
Dear colleagues,

First of all, my Trados, Word and system version:

SDL Trados 2007 SP1 (Build 826)
Word 2007
Windows Vista

I have some Word-documents here which contain a lot of links. When I put my mouse over a hyperlinked word (e.g. "illumination"), a "text box" pops up with the definition of this very word. I started working on one of the files in TagEditor and noted that this "hidden" text (as it only appears in Word when putting the cursor over it) is displayed as normal text in TagEditor.

The client doesn't want me to translate the content of those links, so

1. Is there a way to count the words of the files without taking into account this "hidden" content?

2. How can I configure TagEditor so that it doesn't include this "hidden" content for translation?

The client sent me their word count and it's very different to mine. I guess that the above mentioned might be the problem.

Your help is highly appreciated!

Verena

PS: I'm not allowed to remove the links in the original doc, so that wouldn't solve the problem...
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
filtering? Jan 15, 2010

Verena Schmidt wrote:
2. How can I configure TagEditor so that it doesn't include this "hidden" content for translation?

Hi Verena,

(A workaround to the word count problem would be to Save doc as followed by some sort of a Removal of non-translatable items, and run this copy through Analyse. All of which is too dull to mention.)

As to the second problem -and I'm not saying this will work- if you:

in Word2007: went to Options/Advanced and selected Show field codes (in stead of values)* + Always

something like this
{alt…}

might appear.

If, next, you went to Filter settings/Word2003**/Non-translatable texts, you could enter this bit of 'code' there as shown in the dialog (my version is 863).

There's a remote chance this'll work; I wouldn't know what the option is there for if not for this; which doesn’t of course exclude anything else from happening or not happening.

Wouldn't mind either if you sent me an anonymised paragraph containing at least two (control group) of these hyperlinks + smart tags (if that's what they are) - just to have a look at the real thing.

*translated from Dutch
**I'm assuming you're working with a doc, not docx; for Word2007 there is no such filter setting

Verena Schmidt (X)
Verena Schmidt (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Stefan! Jan 15, 2010

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! Luckily, I found another way round:

I saved the .doc as .rtf before performing the word count and it worked fine. When analyzing the .rtfs in WB the "display boxes" were not included.

I will have to translate the docs in SDLX or Trados Word, as translating the .rtfs in TE and converting them back to the original format doesn't work. SDLX doesn't recognize the hidden text in the .doc files, so everything's fine.

Tha
... See more
Thanks a lot for your suggestions! Luckily, I found another way round:

I saved the .doc as .rtf before performing the word count and it worked fine. When analyzing the .rtfs in WB the "display boxes" were not included.

I will have to translate the docs in SDLX or Trados Word, as translating the .rtfs in TE and converting them back to the original format doesn't work. SDLX doesn't recognize the hidden text in the .doc files, so everything's fine.

Thanks again!

Verena
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados word count of word doc without accounting for (hidden) text contained in links

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »