Which Windows Services do Trados require?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 15, 2010

G'day everyone

I fiddled with some of my Services in Windows (right-click My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services) to disable useless services, and now Trados tells me that there is a problem with licensing and it refuses to start (even in demo mode). So I suspect that Trados relies on some or other Service. Can anyone tell me which Services Trados rely on to work?

Using Windows XP Pro SP2, by the way. And Trados 2007/2009.

T
... See more
G'day everyone

I fiddled with some of my Services in Windows (right-click My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services) to disable useless services, and now Trados tells me that there is a problem with licensing and it refuses to start (even in demo mode). So I suspect that Trados relies on some or other Service. Can anyone tell me which Services Trados rely on to work?

Using Windows XP Pro SP2, by the way. And Trados 2007/2009.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
for Trados 2007 Jan 15, 2010

the SDL FLEXnet License Server (or Service) is required (although the application shold start in demo mode wihout it). If it does not work, try opening the server's configuration tool and see if it is able to recoginze your licence

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but Jan 15, 2010

Zoltán Kulcsár wrote:
The SDL FLEXnet License Server (or Service) is required (although the application shold start in demo mode wihout it).

It is set to Manual but it is running. I did not make any changes to it previously.

I had disabled some of the Services listed here:
http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp
and now I went back and re-enabled them all again (some on Manual, but starting the service), and now Trados 2007 works again. So it must be one of those listed on that page...

Zoltán Kulcsár
English to Hungarian
bad idea... Jan 15, 2010

to turn off services which you don't know what they do:) E.g. the site you referred suggests you may safely turn off the Workstation service: that kills all local network capabilites and may very well interfere with Trados licencing. Furthermore, if your licence is registered to your wireless network card, disabling it will disable your licence too. Disabling the RPC service will cause severe malfunction in many applications, etc. Other services may have similar implications, I suggest more pre... See more
to turn off services which you don't know what they do:) E.g. the site you referred suggests you may safely turn off the Workstation service: that kills all local network capabilites and may very well interfere with Trados licencing. Furthermore, if your licence is registered to your wireless network card, disabling it will disable your licence too. Disabling the RPC service will cause severe malfunction in many applications, etc. Other services may have similar implications, I suggest more precaution around the basic services:)

[Módosítva: 2010-01-15 10:23 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea, bad idea Jan 15, 2010

Zoltán Kulcsár wrote:
Bad idea... to turn off services which you don't know what they do:)

It is difficult to know when information on a site can be trusted... but if Microsoft won't tell you these things, you have to find out from some other place, right?

E.g. the site you referred suggests you may safely turn off the Workstation service: that kills all local network capabilites and may very well interfere with Trados licencing.

I was able to connect wirelessly to my router even with the Workstation service disabled, so I don't think disabling the Workstation service "kills all local network capabilities". But I won't be surprised if Trados' licensing makes use of some or other service that wasn't originally designed for dealing with program licensing, hence my first question.

Furthermore, if your licence is registered to your wireless network card, disabling it will disable your licence too.

Aah, that's an idea. I know that there are warnings in the Wordfast user manual that if you change your computer's hardware configuration, the license might become disabled. I wonder if there are similar warnings in the Trados user manual.

I suggest more precaution around the basic services.

...which is good advice. In fact, fiddling with Services in general is something to do with care, precisely because it is so difficult to guess in what ways programs might make use of them. As for basic versus non-basic Services, do you happen to know of a list of the basic Services somewhere?

Zoltán Kulcsár
English to Hungarian
well... Jan 15, 2010

Microsoft does provide plenty of information about its services: they are named, described, their dependencies mapped etc. Some descriptions should be more "plain" or informative, yes, that we can agree on:)

About a list of surely needed services: unfortunately there is no such a list, as all configurations have individual usages and needs, but there are plenty of resources from which you can read more about the individual services. Btw.: I don't see the point of disabling any serv
... See more
Microsoft does provide plenty of information about its services: they are named, described, their dependencies mapped etc. Some descriptions should be more "plain" or informative, yes, that we can agree on:)

About a list of surely needed services: unfortunately there is no such a list, as all configurations have individual usages and needs, but there are plenty of resources from which you can read more about the individual services. Btw.: I don't see the point of disabling any services (exceptions apply in certain cases, eg. disabling remote registry for security reasons), you generaly don't gain too much by this in terms of system performance.

For a bit more info about Windows XP services I recommend this page:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

[Módosítva: 2010-01-15 11:32 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Turning off services does make sense Jan 15, 2010

I think we cannot blame Samuel for trying to streamline his computer environment. It is something we should all do, instead of periodically purchasing bigger and more energy-munching workstations. I think it is a good estimate to say that about a fourth of the services running on every machine are more or less not needed by the average user. Looking at the environmental side, how much damage to the environment is Microsoft doing by not helping users to turn off unneeded/unwanted services and fea... See more
I think we cannot blame Samuel for trying to streamline his computer environment. It is something we should all do, instead of periodically purchasing bigger and more energy-munching workstations. I think it is a good estimate to say that about a fourth of the services running on every machine are more or less not needed by the average user. Looking at the environmental side, how much damage to the environment is Microsoft doing by not helping users to turn off unneeded/unwanted services and features?

Unfortunately I cannot help here. All I can suggest is that you print a list of services and start doing the opposite process: start services one by one until you hit a score...
Collapse

Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
only "workstation" should be left on Feb 1, 2010

Had the same problem, I disabled a whole bunch of services - from the site you suggest plus several more.

But the "workstation" should really be left on as Zolt suggested.

You're smart enough to ask, I went on testing everything on my own : P

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Windows Services do Trados require?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »