Advice sought in respect of making memory and use of dual monitors.
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:29
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 15, 2010

Dear friends,

I have been translating for over two decades but I have started using Trados in the last year only. Therefore, I want to have advantage of my previous translations. I tried to use Winalign to build up and enrich my memory but I am facing a number of practical difficulties and that is why, I chose a different method and I opened both the source and target files side by side on screen and tried to make memory by opening a segment of source file and then putting the translation from the target file. I was successful but this process kills a lot of time.

Is there some other manner of making memory from the files translated earlier.

Secondly, I am planning to use two monitors with the same computer so that I may open the source file on one and the target on the other. In this process, it would be convenient for me to view the text to be copied, pasted and inserted. I want to know if it is possible to copy the text from one monitor and then paste it in the file on other computer? I wish to know this before buying a Graphics Card and another monitor because if it is not possible to do this, I should not waste my money.

Regards,

Chopra

Excuse me, I forgot to mention, I have Windows XP Professional, Trados Freelance 7.0, MS Office 2003 and most of my earlier files are MS Word files.

[Edited at 2010-01-15 14:38 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:59
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Alignment + double screen configuration Jan 15, 2010

Hi Chopra,

Both of these investments are very sound; I don't think I could switch back to working without a CAT tool or to a single-.screen configuration. So, go ahead!

langclinic wrote:

Dear friends,

I have been translating for over two decades but I have started using Trados in the last year only. Therefore, I want to have advantage of my previous translations. I tried to use Winalign to build up and enrich my memory but I am facing a number of practical difficulties and that is why, I chose a different method and I opened both the source and target files side by side on screen and tried to make memory by opening a segment of source file and then putting the translation from the target file. I was successful but this process kills a lot of time.

Is there some other manner of making memory from the files translated earlier.

Yes, there are other possibilities. If most of your files are Word files, I would strongly suggest that you try Wordfast's free add-on, PlusTools, which contains a very simple-to-use and powerful alignment module, +Align. In my experience, you can work much faster than with WinAlign. Another alignment tool that is recommended by many is Hunalign.

Instead of trying to convert all your previous translations into a TM, you may consider adding the most important pieces first, and jump the queue if a new project has some related reference material (e.g., last year's brochure is updated). It is easily possible to align 200,000 words a day – so, it will take some, but still a reasonable time to convert your legacy materials into a TM.

langclinic wrote:

Secondly, I am planning to use two monitors with the same computer so that I may open the source file on one and the target on the other. In this process, it would be convenient for me to view the text to be copied, pasted and inserted. I want to know if it is possible to copy the text from one monitor and then paste it in the file on other computer? I wish to know this before buying a Graphics Card and another monitor because if it is not possible to do this, I should not waste my money.

Basically, you get a single desktop that is as large as the two screens, and you can do any manipulations between the two. You can have, for example, a single Excel table across the two screens -- or you can have two Word files and copy+paste from one into the other. No problem whatsoever.

Best regards,
Attila

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:59
Spanish
+ ...
About video cards Jan 15, 2010

I also recommend using a second display. But if you can't or don't want to buy a graphics card, you can buy a display adapter. It converts a USB port in your computer to a DVI or VGA port so you can just add a second (or more) monitor. That is, even if your computer doesn't allow the use of multiple monitors. I use a display adapter called EVGA, but I don't think it's the only choice out there.

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 02:59
Spanish to French
+ ...
resolution Jan 15, 2010

However, I guess you need a rather powerful computer, bc USB uses direct CPU resources, and you might already have other USB devices.
First check if your graphic card support high resolutions. For example, I have two 19" monitors with a resolution of 2880x900. If it doesn't, I would still recommend to upgrade your video card. In this case, you need to make sure it's compatible with your setup. Maybe by having a look at your motherboard (or if you have the make and model written down somewhere) someone could tell you what to plug in there.

Hope this helps!

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I also recommend using a second display. But if you can't or don't want to buy a graphics card, you can buy a display adapter. It converts a USB port in your computer to a DVI or VGA port so you can just add a second (or more) monitor. That is, even if your computer doesn't allow the use of multiple monitors. I use a display adapter called EVGA, but I don't think it's the only choice out there.

[Modifié le 2010-01-15 15:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice sought in respect of making memory and use of dual monitors.

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search