Thread poster: Francesca Bellan
Francesca Bellan
Francesca Bellan
Local time: 08:57
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 15, 2010

Hi all,
I have a question regarding the management of TMs in SDL Trados 2007.
I am currently translating a project from an agency on which multiple translators are working at the same time.
I received the .txt from the agency, created my own TM and translated the first file. But, unlike previous versions of Trados, this one does not seem to allow extraction of the TM into a .txt file unless you have exclusive access to it.
The agency was ok with me not delivering my extra
... See more
Hi all,
I have a question regarding the management of TMs in SDL Trados 2007.
I am currently translating a project from an agency on which multiple translators are working at the same time.
I received the .txt from the agency, created my own TM and translated the first file. But, unlike previous versions of Trados, this one does not seem to allow extraction of the TM into a .txt file unless you have exclusive access to it.
The agency was ok with me not delivering my extraction along with my first translated file, but now that I've started working on the second file of the same project I find myself in a weird situation: I cannot keep using my old memory because I cannot update it with the most recent extraction the agency sent me, but at the same time I cannot simply create a new one and import the agency's extraction because I cannot retrieve my old segments.
Is there a way to merge two TMs to which you don't have exclusive access?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,
Stregaviola
Collapse

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
tip Jan 15, 2010

What do you mean with that Trados 2007 does not - unlike previous versions - allow extraction of TM into .txt? There is still File / Export function in Workbench 2007 (allowing to export into .txt or .tmx), so this should not be an issue? (And the same goes for import).

Francesca Bellan
Francesca Bellan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Jan 18, 2010

Tomas Mosler wrote:

What do you mean with that Trados 2007 does not - unlike previous versions - allow extraction of TM into .txt? There is still File / Export function in Workbench 2007 (allowing to export into .txt or .tmx), so this should not be an issue? (And the same goes for import).

Thank you for your reply, Tomas. I know there are still import/export functions in SDL Trados 2007. What has changed is that you are not allowed to use such functions unless you have *exclusive* access to the TM, which wasn't my case since it was a project on which many translators were working at the same time and the TM had been provided directly by the agency on handoff. It appears that only the original creator of the TM can export/import its content. So I wanted to know if anybody knew of a workaround to simply merge the content of two TMs into one.
Thanks anyway!

[Edited at 2010-01-18 15:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-18 15:25 GMT]

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
access Jan 18, 2010

Hello,

are you able to say what are the internal (in the file) differences of exclusive and non-exclusive TMs txt files? When you open it in Notepad, is there some extra header, or a special tag for each term? Could you paste the beginnig and one anonymous segment from that txt file here?

I'm in doubt and curious at the same time how could a plain txt memory have any restrictions (not talking about the fact that it is in agency's own interest to allow full sharing).

Francesca Bellan
Francesca Bellan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved :-) Jan 20, 2010

Hi Tomas,
sorry for not replying any sooner, but I was busy with my translation all day yesterday.
Anyway, this morning I finally found out what the problem was: when creating a new TM, I didn't check the "allow multiple translations" checkbox, so I created a sort of conflict between the .txt file that the agency gave me (which contained TUs by multiple users) and the new TM created with exclusive access.
I managed to solve the problem by creating a new TM where, upon importing
... See more
Hi Tomas,
sorry for not replying any sooner, but I was busy with my translation all day yesterday.
Anyway, this morning I finally found out what the problem was: when creating a new TM, I didn't check the "allow multiple translations" checkbox, so I created a sort of conflict between the .txt file that the agency gave me (which contained TUs by multiple users) and the new TM created with exclusive access.
I managed to solve the problem by creating a new TM where, upon importing the new .txt provided by the agency, I allowed multiple translations for the same TUs. Then I cleaned up my previous files selecting the option "update TM", so I now have a TM that contains all TUs, either by me or by other translators.
Thanks anyway for your interest and for taking the time to reply to my post

Best wishes for your job!
Stregaviola
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to merge two TMs in SDL Trados 2007

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »