https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/155386-how_can_i_add_a_specific_segmentation_rule_in_workbench.html

How can I add a specific segmentation rule in Workbench?
Thread poster: Mohammad Reza Razaghi
Mohammad Reza Razaghi
Mohammad Reza Razaghi  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 00:03
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Jan 16, 2010

Hi all,

I am currently working on a huge project in Word format, which also contains HTML codes, such as: "{hr size="1"}", "{font color="red"}", "{br}", etc. (I've replaced the "" characters by "{" or "}" here, otherwise they are not shown correctly).

Many sentences are only separated by a {br} code and therefore some segments become extremely huge in TagEditor! I tried to add a new segmentation rule for {br} in WB to translate each sentence individually, but it didn't
... See more
Hi all,

I am currently working on a huge project in Word format, which also contains HTML codes, such as: "{hr size="1"}", "{font color="red"}", "{br}", etc. (I've replaced the "" characters by "{" or "}" here, otherwise they are not shown correctly).

Many sentences are only separated by a {br} code and therefore some segments become extremely huge in TagEditor! I tried to add a new segmentation rule for {br} in WB to translate each sentence individually, but it didn't work.

What can be done (other than manually shrinking the segments by Ctrl + Alt + Page up)?

BTW, I'm using SDL Trados 2007 (SP2).

Thank you in advance for your input!

Best,

Mohammad Reza
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 22:33
English to German
Use Tag Editor and change the properties of the <BR> tag Jan 16, 2010

You could easily change the behavior of the <BR> tag if you used Tag Editor instead. Word is really ill-suited for the translation of tagged files.

All you'd have to do is change the <BR> tag Element Property Type from Internal to External.

To change the property type:
1. Open Tag Editor.
2. Choose Tag Settings from the Tools Menu.
3. Double-click the Predefined HTML Settings entry
(If the entry doesn't exist you'll need to open
... See more
You could easily change the behavior of the <BR> tag if you used Tag Editor instead. Word is really ill-suited for the translation of tagged files.

All you'd have to do is change the <BR> tag Element Property Type from Internal to External.

To change the property type:
1. Open Tag Editor.
2. Choose Tag Settings from the Tools Menu.
3. Double-click the Predefined HTML Settings entry
(If the entry doesn't exist you'll need to open HTLM4.INI and add it to the list)
4. Click the Elements tab, scroll-down the list box until you see BR.
5. Double-click the BR entry, change the Type from Internal to External and click OK.

This will make <BR> a segment delimiter.
BTW, you could also modify the behavior of other tags in the same way.

Olaf

[Edited at 2010-01-16 15:23 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Search and replace Jan 16, 2010

Search for <br> in Word and replace it with <br> but with the tw4winExternal style applied. From Word 2003 (or maybe XP) up, you can also use Find to select all instances of a string (<br> in this case) and apply the style from the style drop down list.

I wouldn't recommend changing all the other tags, because that would break your sentences.

Edit: fixed the tag display

[Edited at 2010-01-16 21:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-16 21:07 G
... See more
Search for <br> in Word and replace it with <br> but with the tw4winExternal style applied. From Word 2003 (or maybe XP) up, you can also use Find to select all instances of a string (<br> in this case) and apply the style from the style drop down list.

I wouldn't recommend changing all the other tags, because that would break your sentences.

Edit: fixed the tag display

[Edited at 2010-01-16 21:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-16 21:07 GMT]
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
paragraph ends Jan 16, 2010

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

If this doesn't quite cut it, and while you're at it, you might as well replace <br> by

<br> ¶

-- mind the space between the tag and the paragraph mark (it may matter).

It's possible as well to do some manual 'cutting' of unopened source segments in TE (unprotect document and just start slashing*).

* but, as this is a Word file, probably better not.

[Edited at 2010-01-16 19:36 GMT]

Mohammad Reza Razaghi
Mohammad Reza Razaghi  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 00:03
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Jan 18, 2010

Thank you Olaf, Adam and Stefan!

I will try your useful solutions.

Cheers!

Mohammad Reza

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I add a specific segmentation rule in Workbench?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »