Is is possible to edit URLs in Trados Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Nicky Brown

Nicky Brown  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:40
Member (2011)
Russian to English
Jan 16, 2010

Hi there, I hope somebody can help me. I'm translating a Word document using Trados Studio 2009 and within the Word document are hyperlinks which are linked to Russian-language webpages. I would like to change these weblinks so that they link to their corresponding English-language webpages. Is this possible in Trados Studio 2009? When doing the translation, the ST hyperlink (URL) appears in the left hand column and Trados automatically copies it into the target segment, so it can be physically changed. However, when I then Save Target As... and open up the translated document in Word to see if the hyperlink has been updated, it still remains the same as it was before. Do I need a different application to do this?

Many thanks.

Nicky

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:40
English
Translating URL's Jan 16, 2010

Hi Nicky,

When you translate a url, or a sentence with a url in Studio the actualy url itself is placed into a segment below the one you see. For example this;

This is a url –www.google.co.uk – and, I should be able to translate it to become a com domain.

will be represented in studio as two segments.

Segment 1
This is a url –www.google.co.uk – and, I should be able to translate it to become a com domain.

Segment 2
http://www.google.co.uk

Segment 1 reflects what you read in the word document, and segment 2 reflects the underlying code for the url itself.

If you only change Segment 2 it will appear as though there has been no change, but if you click on it it will go to whatever url you changed it to. To see the difference you need to change Segment 1 as well.

I hope I'm not confusing you more here, but perhaps you are only translating Segment 2?

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
re: Translating URL's Jan 16, 2010

Hi Paul

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. When I was trying to do it, I couldn't see anyway to change the URL in segment 1, but I'll have another go and see if I can crack it. If not, I could be back and even more confused!

Nicky

jyconte
Local time: 09:40
The simplest way is to edit the hyperlink in Word. Jan 17, 2010

Nicky Brown wrote:

Hi there, I hope somebody can help me. I'm translating a Word document using Trados Studio 2009 and within the Word document are hyperlinks which are linked to Russian-language webpages. I would like to change these weblinks so that they link to their corresponding English-language webpages. Is this possible in Trados Studio 2009? When doing the translation, the ST hyperlink (URL) appears in the left hand column and Trados automatically copies it into the target segment, so it can be physically changed. However, when I then Save Target As... and open up the translated document in Word to see if the hyperlink has been updated, it still remains the same as it was before. Do I need a different application to do this?

Many thanks.

Nicky

In the word document right click on the hyperlink and choose to edit the hyperlink (I don't recall the exact wording and you will have a window where you can change the hyperlink.

I guess (but I have not tried it that you can after the first one use the replace fonction (CTRL + H) to replace all instances of the original hyperlink by the new one. You might even try that without doing the first step actually.

Jean-Yves Conte

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
URL replacement gratitude Jan 17, 2010

Hi Jean-Yves Conte

I think you're right, it probably is easier (and quicker) to just edit the hyperlinks in Word once the document has been translated. It's just that Trados places the URL into its own TU which made me think it was editable. Oh well. Word it is, then.

Nicky

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
save as docx Jan 17, 2010

Nicky Brown wrote:
Oh well.

I'm using Word 2007; perhaps this matters; I tried it on a doc* and, as you found out, whatever you do to the actual URL (in Paul's target segment nr 2) - no joy in the final translation.

Did same with a docx** though - and managed a smile.

And of course Segment 1 won't look like

but like
Segment 1
<Field id=1><csf>This</csf></Field> is a bother which I should be able to translate into a com domain.

In segment 1 you translate This; in segment 2 you can change the URL.

*Options/Fyle Types/Word 2000-2003/Other settings:
set to "Always process hyperlinks" (default)

**No (need to bother with) specific settings

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
no joy with ttx Jan 17, 2010

I haven't had to edit any URLs since I have upgraded to Studio, but out of interest after reading this post I thought I would try.
I use Office 2007, but I was working with a .doc
I converted the doc to ttx (client requirements) with pre-segmentation.
I opened it in Studio and saw 2 segments with identical URLs (as per Paul's explanation).

So then I translated segment 1 and locked it (to stop autopropagation to segment 2). Then I edited the URL code in segment 2. But when I saved the source and opened it in Word, the visible part from segment 1 had been translated, but the actual URL code hadn't been modified.

So it seems that when the ttx workflow is used, it isn't possible to edit a URL in Studio?

United Kingdom
English
Just to clarify. Jan 17, 2010

Hi,

I thought I would test this with a doc and a docx. This is what I see. First this is my original documents and you can see that both the url and the text say google.co.uk

Then I translate the doc as follows;

And the docx the same way like this;

I think I may have removed a space before to stop the irritating percentage symbol from appearing in my post (I'd welcome a tip on how to stop that).

Then I saved both bilinguals as target and I get the same for each one;

You can see that in both cases changing the text in the first segment changed the text in the url that you read with google.co.uk becoming google.com, and that changing the text in the second segment changes the url itself, with google.com now going to proz.com.

I'm sure this has been well discussed now and that the solutions all work, but I just wanted to clearly show how this works without having to edit a document afterwards. If you wanted to you could of course search and replace in Studio and replace all the urls with the right one too.

Of course this is a simple example, but I would be happy to take a look at any file you have where this is not working?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-01-17 22:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-17 22:49 GMT]

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
and clarify Jan 18, 2010

As a final translation result this

will look slightly laughable; it's on a more abstract level M. Filkin is making his point.

The hyperlinked text in segment 1 - whether this is a 'naked URL' as in Paul's example, or something like 'Click here' as in real life often occurs - should be edited; only the cf or csf tags apply here (blue underline).
In segment 2 you decide what the Field tags will actually do.

(tested only for docx)

United Kingdom
English
Of course Jan 18, 2010

Hi Stefan,

Of course you are correct, and I was just trying to explain how this should work. Probably if I had used an example like yours then it may have been more clear. Sorry if I confused.

In the meantime I have taken a look at some files Emma sent me and can confirm where there is a problem.

Works
.doc to sdlxliff to .doc
.docx to sdlxliff to .docx
.docx to ttx to sdlxliff to .docx
.docx to ttx to sdlxliff to ttx to .docx

Does not Work
.doc to ttx to sdlxliff to .doc
.doc to ttx to sdlxliff to ttx to .doc

The latter pair fail because there is an issue with the SDL Trados 2007 Word Filter for .doc and I doubt we will spend time fixing this because of the workarounds available for this problem that make fixing this version of the filter quite a low priority.

You can use Studio directly from souce, you can convert to docx and then go the ttx workflow, or you can use the advice from Jean-Yves and edit the url in .doc afterwards.

Kind regards

Paul

Kai Zimmermann  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Russian to German
+ ...
Editing URLs in XHTML/HTML documents May 5, 2010

I am translating several HTML documents which Studio 2009 recognizes as XHTML file type. They contain URLs and I am supposed to translate the URL text (e.g. "legislation") and the corresponding hyperlink ("http://..."). In contrast to Word documents where URLs are split into two segments this isn't the case here. Instead I get the URL text ("legislation") surrounded by an inline tag pair containing the hyperlink (in the form [a target="_self" href="http://..."> which I am also supposed to change so the URL will point to a localized website. Can anybody give me a hint how to change the hyperlink here?

Thanks in advance

[Bearbeitet am 2010-05-05 13:19 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I don't think there is a way... May 5, 2010

Hi Kai

I'm sorry, but no matter how much I've tried, I cannot work out any way to edit URLs! It's really frustrating, because it must be do-able.

Nicky

United Kingdom
English
How to edit urls in html May 5, 2010

Hello Kai, Nicky,

Studio treats these as protected by default but it's quite simple to change the setting in the filetype if you need to edit these. A quick example of how to do this based on the following html.

If I open this in Studio with the default settings it looks like this, which is what I think you are describing.

So, I open the html filetype and select Elements and Attributes then Edit the A element. This is because the link is held in a href

This opens a new window where you can define how this element should be treated for the documents you are working on. I scroll down to href and tick the checkbox to make this attribute translatable.

Now when I open the file in Studio it looks like this;

You can now see the urls are editable as seperate segments and the Document Structure column at the right also indicates what these segments are.

I hope this helps a little?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-05-05 20:25 GMT]

Kai Zimmermann  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Russian to German
+ ...
Thanks Paul... May 5, 2010

...I found the same solution, and it works for HTML documents. So I managed to save my files in a way that Studio recognizes them as HTML files instead of XHTML files. But what if you have real XHTML files? There's no Elements and attributes in the XHTML file type. I have found Parser rules there and one element of them is "//a" but I'm not sure if this would the one to change in order to make URLs editable. Can you give me another hint for this file type?

Regards

Kai

United Kingdom
English
Same solution.... just different process May 8, 2010

Hello Kai,

You are on the right track and editing //a will do the trick if this is the element used in your xhtml file for the href. Here you need to select edit, then change the Rule Type to Attribute and make sure Element still says a and Attribute says href.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is is possible to edit URLs in Trados Studio 2009?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search