https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/155579-reinstall_sdl_trados_2006.html

Reinstall SDL Trados 2006
Thread poster: Lu Zou
Lu Zou
Lu Zou  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:56
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 19, 2010

I have SDL Trados 2006, which allows me to install it on a laptop and a desktop.
I just bought a new desktop, and would like to install SDL Trados 2006 on my new desktop. Now, I am having the following concerns:

1. Before install SDL Trados 2006 on new desktop, should I return the license from old desktop from the License Manager in the program or from My Account on the SDL web site?
2. If I return the license from desktop, does it will affect my license on the laptop?... See more
I have SDL Trados 2006, which allows me to install it on a laptop and a desktop.
I just bought a new desktop, and would like to install SDL Trados 2006 on my new desktop. Now, I am having the following concerns:

1. Before install SDL Trados 2006 on new desktop, should I return the license from old desktop from the License Manager in the program or from My Account on the SDL web site?
2. If I return the license from desktop, does it will affect my license on the laptop?

As I will need to continue using SDL Trados 2006, I do not want to have any downtime.

Thanks in advance.

Lu
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Contact SDL customer support and check with them Jan 19, 2010

As I understand it, returning the desktop license won't deactivate the license on your laptop. It just frees up one of your two allowed installations for use on the new desktop.

It's imperative to return Trados licenses to the server when decommissioning an old computer. If you get rid of the old computer without doing so, you might lose one of your two licenses. This is because the good folks at SDL (and I use the term "good" very loosely) have changed the rules.

In th
... See more
As I understand it, returning the desktop license won't deactivate the license on your laptop. It just frees up one of your two allowed installations for use on the new desktop.

It's imperative to return Trados licenses to the server when decommissioning an old computer. If you get rid of the old computer without doing so, you might lose one of your two licenses. This is because the good folks at SDL (and I use the term "good" very loosely) have changed the rules.

In the old days, if you forgot to return a license before getting rid of your old computer (or if your hard drive died and you were unable to return the license before reinstallation), you could just call SDL and they would manually reset it on their server. Indeed, I purchased Trados 2007 based on their promise that this was how things would work. When I worked at an agency circa 2005, we had to request such resets several times, and there was no problem.

Well, no more. Now if you ask SDL for a license reset, they refuse to do so unless you sign a document acknowledging that you only get one reset per license, and after that your only option is to buy a new one. (This is per an email and attachment I got from customer support in late 2009.) So be very, very careful with your licenses. Or do what I'm doing: on the next upgrade, I'm switching to a different CAT product made by a company that provides proper customer service.

Since they're so fond of changing the rules, your safest bet is to contact SDL before doing anything else and ask them how to proceed.

[Edited at 2010-01-19 00:59 GMT]
Collapse

Jacek Sierakowski
Jacek Sierakowski
Belgium
Local time: 20:56
English to French
+ ...
How do you contact them? Jan 19, 2010

I had to reinstall Windows on my desktop, and my SDL license has been refused since, with a gibberish explanation message. SDL is running now in demo mode, whatever that means.

I asked for help on their website as instructed, but all I get is a repetitive automated useless email. For the price I paid, I expected at least some kind of minimal service.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Contact SDL Jan 19, 2010

If you don't have a support contract then you can use the solution finder like this;

http://talisma.sdl.com

Then go the the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- My software runs in demo mode only, or Activation/Licensing does not work.
- - Activation Code
- - - I cannot return my activation code.
- - - - I get an error messa
... See more
If you don't have a support contract then you can use the solution finder like this;

http://talisma.sdl.com

Then go the the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- My software runs in demo mode only, or Activation/Licensing does not work.
- - Activation Code
- - - I cannot return my activation code.
- - - - I get an error message when I click on Return License.

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

I hope this helps.

Paul
Collapse

Jacek Sierakowski
Jacek Sierakowski
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Jan 19, 2010

Done. Hope it will work.

Jacek

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
It worked on my laptop Jan 19, 2010

On Sunday I installed Windows XP on my 4 years old laptop. I reformatted the harddisc using the original installation cd and was able to install Trados 2007 and run WB, TE and SDLx. I only had to enter my ID. Workbench displayed a message "Checking license", but then I could load a tm and translate.
So I wonder now, was it pure good luck in my case? SDL has never bothered me with these licenses since years.

Cheers
Heinrich

Lu Zou
Lu Zou  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:56
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Steven Jan 19, 2010

Thanks Steven

I am very careful about the license thing, as I had bad experience before.

I will delay the installation on my new desktop, as new jobs will need Trados.
Hope what you and Paul suggested will help me.

Best wishes

Lu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reinstall SDL Trados 2006

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »