The action with ID "AutoScrollSourceAction" is currently not enable ERROR
Thread poster: Cesar Gil

Cesar Gil
Local time: 03:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2010

Hello,
Since yesterday when I tried to open a document in Trados Studio 2009 I am receiving the following error.
"The action with ID "AutoScrollSourceAction" is currently not enable".
After clicking OK as there is no other option to continue, the software became practically useless as it has the following problems:
1. The source and target documents do not scroll together but the corresponding command in the View menu is in gray so it is not possible to select it.
2. There is no way to introduce anything in the Translation memory as the Ctrl+Enter key combination is not working.
3. After opening a termbase the software still says that there is no termbase active.
4. All the "save" commands are in gray so there is no way to save the source, target documents even the project.
I tried the Knowledge base at the Trados Support it does not mention anything. It would be nice that those critical problems can be discussed directly with Trados but it is not possible based on their support policies. I forgot, I also reinstall the software and the problem persists.
Please help me, currently I am stuck and I am not able to work with the software.
Regards,
Cesar

Cesar Gil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution for the problem in case somebody need it Jan 20, 2010

Hi, the solution was pretty simple and it had to do with the deletion of some files. The first impulse is to uninstall and reinstall everything which is very time consuming an does not fix anything so try this before:

For Win XP:

It is important to close Studio prior to deleting.

What you'll want to delete first are (Windows XP):

-C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\BaseSettings.xml

-C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\plugincache.xml

-C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\UserSettings.xml

If you can't find those files, you may have to "Show Hidden Files" to be able to see them, so please open a folder window, and click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show Hidden Files and Folders. Once you press OK, you should be able to view "hidden files and folders," so please navigate back to the locations I posted and attempt to delete them. Once that is complete you can try to open SDL Trados 2009 SP1 again and the problem will be solved for sure.

For Win 7:

The files are located here:

C:\Users\**USER NAME**\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0

They are entitled "BaseSettings.xml," "plugincache.xml," and "UserSettings.xml." Dele them all while Studio is closed, then re-open the application. That's all, hope this help somebody in the same situation.

Jonna Meeuwissen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:07
Member (2010)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Thank you! Apr 8, 2010

Hi Cesar,

Thank you very much! I just had the same kind of problem in MultiTerm, I got the error message "The action with ID 'MultiTerm.Studio.FilterModeAction' is currently not enabled." I removed the files you mentioned from the MT folder and everything works fine again!

Regards,
Jonna

David Moore  Identity Verified
French to English
Trying to find these files Apr 25, 2010

Hi! Do you know if this procedure is still valid? This error has arisen on my demo version and I'm trying to find those files to delete (on Windows Vista) but I can't find them anywhere. I have activated the 'Show Hidden Files'. Don't know where to look now! thanks for any tips.

Cesar Gil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really sure Apr 25, 2010

David Moore wrote:

Hi! Do you know if this procedure is still valid? This error has arisen on my demo version and I'm trying to find those files to delete (on Windows Vista) but I can't find them anywhere. I have activated the 'Show Hidden Files'. Don't know where to look now! thanks for any tips.

Hi David
Take a look again using the procedure of Win7, as Win Vista file structure is very similar. If you still cannot find them I can only say that maybe the error was revised for a new version or patch but I am not really sure in the case of a Demo version. But if you are testing the product, you should have access to SDL Trados support as they might be really interested in selling the product. They will be able to help you directly right? Sorry for not having a more convincing response.
Cesar

Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is this really a user-friendly software? Aug 26, 2010

I have Studio 2009 installed on my laptop (Windows 7) and on my desktop (Windows Vista) and this error message also appeared on my desktop, on which (similar to the problems faced by David) I cannot find the files mentioned by Cesar.

I'm really amazed at this software, at how expensive it is, at how prone it is to crashing, at how rarely SDL representatives will offer assistance here, at how expensive training courses are (while some developers will offer free courses for subscribers), and at how some people still say this is a user-friendly TM.

I've been using Wordfast Classic for months now and I never had to ask a question in this forum or had to search the internet for solutions on how to run WFC. The manual that comes with the licence has been more than enough to get me going.

With Trados I was offered a two-day course, I was given two manuals but the only thing that really keeps me afloat is the answers that Proz users give here. How would we survive with Trados if Proz.com didn't exist?

Let me just ask one thing. How will you come across Cesar's solution if you're not a computer expert? When I look at the sheer volume of questions on Trados around this forum as compared to questions related, for example, to Déjá Vu or Wordfast I cannot help thinking that this software wasn't designed for translators. It was designed for computer buffs.

Cesar Gil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Try using "Search" function from Windows Aug 26, 2010

Hi Deolindo,

You are right in many things. The problem for me is that Trados is so robust (it manages lots of file extensions as well as localization) that is prone to errors as you said but in the long run it happens to work fine. Maybe for translators using just text files, other alternatives should be considered. I am not really a computer geek but I got the solution using the support contract which happens to be paid. As you said it elevates considerably the costs of working on translations but it is worth it if you have an intensive use of the software and to have the upcoming updates.

Going back to your problem, did you try using the search function of Win Vista/7? You can try the whole name of the file or just use asterisk (*.xml) which would bring more hits but it is likely to show the files you are looking at.

Let me know if that works, meanwhile we will continue supporting the community to make life easier for Trados users.

Regards,

Cesar

Deolindo wrote:

I have Studio 2009 installed on my laptop (Windows 7) and on my desktop (Windows Vista) and this error message also appeared on my desktop, on which (similar to the problems faced by David) I cannot find the files mentioned by Cesar.

I'm really amazed at this software, at how expensive it is, at how prone it is to crashing, at how rarely SDL representatives will offer assistance here, at how expensive training courses are (while some developers will offer free courses for subscribers), and at how some people still say this is a user-friendly TM.

I've been using Wordfast Classic for months now and I never had to ask a question in this forum or had to search the internet for solutions on how to run WFC. The manual that comes with the licence has been more than enough to get me going.

With Trados I was offered a two-day course, I was given two manuals but the only thing that really keeps me afloat is the answers that Proz users give here. How would we survive with Trados if Proz.com didn't exist?

Let me just ask one thing. How will you come across Cesar's solution if you're not a computer expert? When I look at the sheer volume of questions on Trados around this forum as compared to questions related, for example, to Déjá Vu or Wordfast I cannot help thinking that this software wasn't designed for translators. It was designed for computer buffs.

Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Problem solved thanks to Proz.com Sep 1, 2010

Cesar,

Sorry for not getting back to you. The other day my problem was solved after I had shown your suggestions for Win7 to a computer technician.

Thanks for your selfless assistance (for which you have to pay) and encouragement. Maybe I'll change my perceptions after I have interacted with the software longer. But it's really proving an uphill struggle to master this system, which unfortunately is a must if you want to broaden your customer base.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The action with ID "AutoScrollSourceAction" is currently not enable ERROR

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search