Opening an itd file with SDL Lite if it has not been created with SDL Elite: Is there really no way
Thread poster: Translationfox

Translationfox  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:11
French to German
+ ...
Jan 19, 2010

...to open an itd file with SDL Lite, if it has not been created with SDL Elite?
My collegue has bought the expensive Freelance version, but we can't work together because I only have SDL Lite - it doesn't seem fair...
Is there no other software or CAT-Tool that does that? Anything available via torrent? Would Deja-Vu work?...
Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:11
Spanish
+ ...
It is possible Jan 19, 2010

SDL Lite can open files created with SDLX's Project Wizard (your friend's version).

Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately it does not work. Jan 20, 2010

I get the message "File uncompatible with SDLX Lite" after trying both the file from the client and a file that my friend created with the Project Wizard.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
TTX... DVX... Jan 20, 2010

Translationfox wrote:

...to open an itd file with SDL Lite, if it has not been created with SDL Elite?

AFAIK, no way.
If really necessary, I have Elite and I may process these files for you.

My collegue has bought the expensive Freelance version, but we can't work together because I only have SDL Lite - it doesn't seem fair...

Business is business.

Is there no other software or CAT-Tool that does that?
Anything available via torrent?

Well, you'll find everything via torrent but...

Would Deja-Vu work?...

Yes, DVX is able to import itd files but sometimes it's unable to export 'em correctly.
It may occur when segments are splitted and/or joined.
So, I prefer a more reliable scenario i.e. export as TTX, then import the TTX file.
It's easy and it works as a charm.
In fact, most CAT tools are able to process TTX files.

PS.
Starting from today, DVX has very competitive offer for the Standard version.
250 euro + VAT.

Cheers
GG

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Elite necessary Jan 20, 2010

Hello "Translationfox",
to open ITD files in the Lite version, the ITDs have to be indeed created with SDLX Elite.
However, you should be able to open the ITD file in TagEditor, provided your version of TagEditor is at least 756 (AFAIK).

French to Polish
+ ...
Version number Jan 20, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

However, you should be able to open the ITD file in TagEditor, provided your version of TagEditor is at least 756 (AFAIK).

Yes.
Also known as Trados 2006.
It should work with the demo version if you find any.

Cheers
GG

Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had a look at the Deja Vu Homepage but it does not mention that SDL ITDs can be opened/exported Jan 20, 2010

with DVX. It mentions several Trados versions though. So does that mean that it will work?
I am very tempted to go for this great offer that started today - but I need to make sure that I can work on the ITDs my friend sends me with SDL Freelance 2009 and that I can send back a format she can convert into an ITD (I suppose that's not a problem, as we could use .ttx or Excel, right?)
Thanks everyone for all your help and feedback!

Local time: 21:12
French to Polish
+ ...
TTX... DVX... Jan 20, 2010

Translationfox wrote:

[Atril] mentions several Trados versions though. So does that mean that it will work?

SDLX ITD is supported.
Sure.
If it's not listed, it's probably because ITD is a "marginal" format.

Generallly, it works but, as I said, the export may be unpredictable.
I had problems with some ITD files.
If you're in hurry, I suggest a different and secure workflow i.e. ITD-TTX-whatever-TTX-ITD.

I am very tempted to go for this great offer that started today -

It's a good price but it's not a good idea to start with an unknown program and plan to deliver the same day.
You have all the chances to screw it.

but I need to make sure that I can work on the ITDs my friend sends me with SDL Freelance 2009

Ask him to send you TTX exported from ITD.

and that I can send back a format she can convert into an ITD (I suppose that's not a problem, as we could use .ttx or Excel, right?)

TTX will work fine.
Tested several times.

PS.
I just sent you back the converted files, HTH.
If the SDLX Lite doesn't work (the file should be created in Elite, not saved), at least, you'll have a TTX for another CAT tool.

The CAT hopping needs some knowledge and may be dangerous.
The next time, pay more attention before you accept this kind of job...

Cheers, getting offline...
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening an itd file with SDL Lite if it has not been created with SDL Elite: Is there really no way

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search