Including both the source and the target text in cleanup to Word
Thread poster: Sarah Downing

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:17
German to English
+ ...
Jan 20, 2010

Hello,

I started translating my customer's text in TagEditor, which I actually prefer using to Word when translating on my laptop as more is displayed on the screen. Now the customer has two requests, which I wish they had made beforehand:
a. They want me to include both the source and the target text in the Word document to enable easier proofreading/updating
b. They want me to mark the target text in blue

Now, as a precaution (in case I can't figure this out/there is no other solution) I just re-translated the text in Word with the help of the TM I had created when translating it in TagEditor. This enables me to keep both source and target in the Word document. I just won't clean it up. I also figured out how to automatically colour the target text blue by activating Options-Translated Text Colours for 100% matches. It worked wonderfully. However, when I tried to activate this in TagEditor, the text didn't change colour. Doesn't this work in TagEditor or doesn't the text change until it is cleaned up and converted to Word?

I'd be grateful for any pointers, as no doubt this won't be the last time a customer has a special request of this nature and, as I mentioned above, I much prefer translating in TagEditor wherever possible.

Thank you very much in advance!

Sarah

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:17
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not in TagEditor Jan 20, 2010

Sarah Downing wrote:
I also figured out how to automatically colour the target text blue by activating Options-Translated Text Colours for 100% matches. It worked wonderfully. However, when I tried to activate this in TagEditor, the text didn't change colour. Doesn't this work in TagEditor or doesn't the text change until it is cleaned up and converted to Word?

Hi Sarah,

I had a similar request from a new client recently. They told me they normally required translations in that format and they also instructed me how to get the format. From what they said, I understand this is only possible when using Trados Workbench with MS Word; you cannot color the target text in TagEditor. However, I admit I didn't research the topic any further.

HTH,

Daniel

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:17
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
You can colour text in Tag Editor Jan 21, 2010

but only with specific formats for some reason. As far as I remember, you can colour HTML files or .properties files, but you can't colour TTX files from FrameMaker, for example.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
English to Russian
+ ...
What would I do… Jan 21, 2010

if I were asked to do so.

a. I have the original received from my client.
b. I have the translation, after I have translated it.

c. I make a copy of the original file and convert the text to a table with one column.
d. I make a copy of the translated file and covert the text in it to a table with one column too.

e. I copy the table with translated text (in one file) and insert it to the right of the table with the original text (in another file). The result is a table with two columns.

f. I format the text in the column with the original applying blue colour to its font.

No claims so far have been received from my clients.

[Edited at 2010-01-21 10:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Including both the source and the target text in cleanup to Word

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search