How to analyze a file
Thread poster: Elizabeth Kelly
Elizabeth Kelly
Ireland
Local time: 17:44
English to German
+ ...
Jan 20, 2010

As a total beginner on the CAT tool grounds, I am trying to figure out the genius that is Trados I have just finished a translation and want to see the analysis results. How exactly to I analyze the file?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
Local time: 18:44
English to German
+ ...
two types there.. Jan 21, 2010

Hi! you take an analysis before beginning with the translation and once after completing it. This usually reflects what is to be done and charge as per agreed conditions. At the end you should see 100% match, meaning the translation is complete. Check under tools tab in Trados workbench. Brandis

Elizabeth Kelly
Ireland
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I realized my mistake :-( Jan 21, 2010

Thanks Brandis. I did realize I should have done the analysis before I started translating. What put me off was that I tried to analyze it in Studio by going into "Batch tasks"(Analyze files), but kept getting "no tasks available". When the translation was finished, the analysis was carried out no problem, but of course that's when I got 100% Context match (not very helpful). So the initial analysis has to be carried out in Workbench?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Use Batch tasks indeed Jan 21, 2010

Hello Elizabeth,
no need to analyze the project files in Workbench. This is how you can analyze projects in Studio:
1. Go to the Projects View, right-click on the project you want to analyze and select Batch Tasks > Analyze Files from the context menu; or
2. Go to the Fiels View, mark all the files you want to analyze and proceed as mentioned under point 1.

You will then find the analysis results in the Reports View.

[Upraveno: 2010-01-21 10:49 GMT]

Elizabeth Kelly
Ireland
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried that Jan 21, 2010

As I said Stanislav, I did try, but kept getting "no tasks available". So what am I doing wrong?

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
how did you analyse the final file Jan 21, 2010

Elizabeth Kelly wrote:

Thanks Brandis. I did realize I should have done the analysis before I started translating. What put me off was that I tried to analyze it in Studio by going into "Batch tasks"(Analyze files), but kept getting "no tasks available". When the translation was finished, the analysis was carried out no problem, but of course that's when I got 100% Context match (not very helpful). So the initial analysis has to be carried out in Workbench?
HI!how did you analyse the final file. You must be having a TM to get a 100% match. How did you create it? Same way create an empty TM and compare the file with it´s ownself. You will certainly see all kinds of listings. Then load the TM and to see 100% matches. The difference is the translation. Brandis

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
you can still analyze the source file Jan 21, 2010

Hi!
Start an empty TM and analyse the source file. You can still do it. I hope for you, you have a working folder and saved the source file. Brandis

echmura
Local time: 02:44
Japanese to English
No tasks available May 17, 2010

I arrived here from a GOOGLE search and was sorry to see that the original question was not answered, because I am having the same problem.

When I try to analyze a file by selecting "Batch tasks" in the Projects view, the Batch tasks menu shows a dimmed "(no tasks available)". That is, it is impossible to select anything from the Batch tasks menu.

What do I (we?) need to do?

echmura
Local time: 02:44
Japanese to English
No tasks available issue resolved May 17, 2010

Don't now if anyone is still interested in this, but I solved the "no tasks available" problem on my own and will share what I learned here.

The "no tasks available" text appears in the Batch Tasks menu if you open the file to be translated (and analyzed) using the "Open Document" command.

In order to have access to all of the options on the Batch Tasks menu, including "Analyze File," you need to open the file to be translated using the "New Project" command.

[Edited at 2010-05-17 07:34 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
How to analyze a file May 17, 2010

Elizabeth Kelly wrote:

As a total beginner on the CAT tool grounds, I am trying to figure out the genius that is Trados I have just finished a translation and want to see the analysis results. How exactly to I analyze the file?

Although some colleagues have already explained the details, we must always bear in mind that Trados is an application that has been created from the beginning taking in account the business benefits and not the translator interests.

For example, if you make a preliminary analysis with a client's memory, chances are you have a lot of 75% match that will be payed at a reduced price. However, if the memory is plenty of errors which is very common and yo retranslate them correctly, Trados will continue giving you a 75% match for this segment, even if you have had to change it completely.

And to translate again the entire text should be accounted as a full no match, but of course this would be against Trados ( understand big LSP and enterprises ) interests...

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Some ideas May 17, 2010

When I try to analyze a file by selecting "Batch tasks" in the Projects view, the Batch tasks menu shows a dimmed "(no tasks available)". That is, it is impossible to select anything from the Batch tasks menu.

Is the project active, i.e. "In Progress"?

Have you tried analyzing a single file from within the Files View?

Gail Bond MITI  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
Save? May 17, 2010

Have you saved first? Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I had this problem too, until I realised you have to save the sdlxiff file first. So much frustration, such a simple solution!

It seems silly to me... sometimes I receive a job from a client and would like to analyse it first just to see how long it might take before I decide to take it, so it's pointless having to save it before analysis if I decide afterwards not to accept the job.

hhl
English to German
Batch options depend on source/target selection May 17, 2010

Please, always remember, that Batch options depend on whether you have selected source or target language in File View.

The first tasks, when adding a new file/folder to an existing project (add file, add folder, convert to translatable format, create target language files) are all Batch options, when the SOURCE language is selected.

All further tasks (analyse, pre-translate, create TMs, export file, create target language original format, and some more) are only available, if the TARGET language is selected (at the top of the left Navigation column in File View).

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks Apr 4, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Is the project active, i.e. "In Progress"?

Thanks for that one Stanislav, it got me out of a pickle... A few months ago I marked a project as completed (I don't remember doing so but I must have) and now I wanted to translate a new file in that project. I could add the file with no problems, but then I got "no tasks available" in the batch tasks menu when I wanted to prepare it for translation.
Obviously, this feature is broken in Studio (when you try to add a new file to a completed project, it should warn you and offer to reactivate the project instead of allowing you to proceed and then failing without an error message). Anyway, this helped me troubleshoot and solve the issue.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Indeed Apr 4, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
Obviously, this feature is broken in Studio (when you try to add a new file to a completed project, it should warn you and offer to reactivate the project instead of allowing you to proceed and then failing without an error message).

Indeed, a warning would be nice.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to analyze a file

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search