Adding Hunspell based dictionary for Spell checking to SDL Trados Studio 2009 - help needed
Thread poster: Gene Oh

Gene Oh  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 10:30
English to Korean
Jan 21, 2010

Based on SDL Trados Knowledge Base Article 2693, I am trying to add a Hunspell based dictionary for Spell checking in SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1. I have downloaded a Korean spell-checking dictionary from public sites (files: ko-KR.txt and ko-KR.aff) and edited the spell checking configuration file as follows: (1) I have added above two files in the spellcheckmanager_config.xml file. (2) I have also added extra four lines: ko-KR ko-KR in the spellcheckmanager_config.xml file (Path: Proograms-SDL-SDL TRADOS Studio-Studio1-Hunspelldictionaries). This way I have extended the spell checking support and added the Korean language. But it does not seem to work. Of course, I have enabled spellchecking in the SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 using the menu TOOLs. Do I have to do anything else?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-01-21 13:55 GMT]

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:30
English to Hungarian
- Jan 21, 2010

I believe you are refering to Article # 2691
First: the dictionary file should have .dic extension, not txt, maybe you downloaded/added the wrong file?

Additionally, make sure that you inserted your language info into the xml file in the correct format, as specified on the page mentioned.

[Módosítva: 2010-01-21 15:51 GMT]

New Zealand
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
Hunspell based dictionary for Spell checking to SDL Studio 2009 Jan 21, 2010

Many thanks. The ko-KR.txt was a typo. The actual files I inserted were ko-KR.dic and ko-KR.aff. I think I have followed the correct format as specified on the page: I have copied four lines from other language listing and replaced only the relevant contents with ko-KR and ko-KR and inserted them in the xml file. Have I done incorrectly? Another round of your teaching will be greatly appreciated.

Nicolás Valencia  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try this Apr 21, 2010

Hi Gene,

I had the same problem until I noticed a little difference in the spellcheckmanager_config.xml file:

Your Isocode should be written with a hyphen, i.e. ko-KR, while the dictionary name should have a low line, i.e. ko_KR (as well as the .dic and .aff files that you downloaded).

Hope this is useful.

Best,

Nicolás

[Editado a las 2010-04-21 17:06 GMT]

New Zealand
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
Try this Apr 21, 2010

Hi Nicolas,
Many thanks for your kind suggestion.
I have followed your instruction, but it doens't seem to work.
It looks the files I am using are not the proper ones.
Thanks anyway. Have a great day.

William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:30
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Tinkering with Hunspell Jul 15, 2010

Thanks to Nicolas for the tidbit on dash versus underscore. I tried this, with making other adjustment to amend only what was necessary on the spellcheckmanager, and SDL opened without a problem. I would like to verify that the new Hunspell dictionaries are being accessed (so I can trash the one that came with the software!). Does anyone know how to verify this? I can only find the Custom Dictionary status under "Editor."

Thanks,

New Zealand
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
Let me add my question Jul 15, 2010

I am wondering if they have added Korean language to the Hunspell based dictionaries. My current version(SDL TRADOS 2009 SP2) does not seem to have the Korean dictionary in the spellcheckmanager of the Hunspelldicitonaries.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding Hunspell based dictionary for Spell checking to SDL Trados Studio 2009 - help needed

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search