XML file Tag settings for Comments
Thread poster: ACLserv

ACLserv
Canada
Local time: 11:25
English
Jan 21, 2010

How do you make comments at the beginning of an XML file translatable? (SDL Trados 2007)

For example:

I had no problem setting the Tag Settings for the content but I can figure out how to make the comments translatable as well.

PMz
Comments Jan 22, 2010

Fabrice wrote:

How do you make comments at the beginning of an XML file translatable? (SDL Trados 2007)

For example:

I had no problem setting the Tag Settings for the content but I can figure out how to make the comments translatable as well.

Hi,
comments are by definition out of the XML structure and they are not considered as translatable objects at all - so you need to translate manually (or copy paste to some other document form).

Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 20:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
turn into existing element Jan 22, 2010

Fabrice wrote:

How do you make comments (...) of an XML file translatable? (SDL Trados 2007)

For example:
<!--
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aliquam lorem nibh, laoreet eu scelerisque nec, sodales id eros. Pellentesque tempor metus vitae mauris luctus in porttitor urna volutpat. Pellentesque feugiat pretium est, ut sagittis est viverra vel. Nulla ut mi commodo turpis aliquet feugiat.
-->

I had no problem setting the Tag Settings for the content but I can't figure out how to make the comments translatable as well.

I'd consider using an existing element, preferably external, and doing some Find/Replace on the original xml; embedding the actual translation in a unique string (e.g. !**!)so that the translated xml would look like

<existing element>!* insert translation here *!</existing element>

and should be open to Find/Replace post translation.

I probably would also actually try this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML file Tag settings for Comments

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search