Studio - no import from other Studio TMs? (sdltm)?
Thread poster: Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 01:03
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 22, 2010

This question seems either amazing or stupid, but here we go.

As far as I can tell, Studio does not support import from one .sdltm memory into another.

I quote from:

Home > Creating and Managing Translation Memories > Managing Translation Memory Data > Importing and Exporting Translation Memory Data > Overview

============

You use the Import Wizard to import data into a translation memory. Imported data contains translation units
... See more
This question seems either amazing or stupid, but here we go.

As far as I can tell, Studio does not support import from one .sdltm memory into another.

I quote from:

Home > Creating and Managing Translation Memories > Managing Translation Memory Data > Importing and Exporting Translation Memory Data > Overview

============

You use the Import Wizard to import data into a translation memory. Imported data contains translation units with their associated fields. Data can be imported in these formats:

Translation Memory Exchange Documents (*.tmx, * . tmz.gz)

SDL XLIFF Bilingual Documents (*.sdlxliff)

TRADOStag Documents (*.ttx)

SDL Edit Documents (*.itd)

==============

Note .sdltm is NOT a supported data type, and .sdltm data files are not shown in the file list in the wizard. Trying to import another Studio TM results in the error message: "One or more files not supported."

The workaround I see is to export the .sdltm into a .tmx file and then import it into the second .sdltm memory.

Am I crazy/missing something, or is SDL?

[Edited at 2010-01-23 00:05 GMT]
Collapse

Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Surprising - and not surprising Feb 2, 2010

Not one comment or message from SDL.

So you can upgrade to Studio, but you can't work within in.

Unless you export TM's from Studio so you can import TM's back into Studio.

Cute!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:03
English
On sdltm Feb 3, 2010

Hi Tom,

We're not sure how often users want to merge TM's in this way and Workbench didn't offer that either, and as far as I know, noone ever missed it

Import and export, traditionally, is about serialization and deserialization of TM data into/from "textual" data files of some kind, and not to/from "binary" or "storage" formats. We think that the more important use cases would be to cross-import between
... See more
Hi Tom,

We're not sure how often users want to merge TM's in this way and Workbench didn't offer that either, and as far as I know, noone ever missed it

Import and export, traditionally, is about serialization and deserialization of TM data into/from "textual" data files of some kind, and not to/from "binary" or "storage" formats. We think that the more important use cases would be to cross-import between file-based and server-based TMs, probably in conjunction with filters and/or edit scripts and traditionally tmx has always been favoured, and this we support.

In Studio we have the ability to use TM sequences which cover the usecase that you may want to use your own TM in addition to customer-supplied TMs in the same project. You don't have to merge anymore (as it was required in Workbench), but can just add both to the translation provider sequence, and you can also apply penalties at this level to ensure preference in use between the TM's.

However, the obvious and simple workaround is to first export the first TM and then import the exported data into the second. That has the advantage that you get a backup TMX for free!

But there is another option, through the use of the Tools - Upgrade TMs path - here you can add as many sdltm's as you like and merge them all into one new single sdltm. You can't import into an existing, but this process of merging to a new one is pretty straightforward and you also get backup tmx files for each one if you want them.

I hope this helps a little?

Regards

Paul
SDL Support
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
I'd like to merge studio TMs too Feb 3, 2010

I miss this feature too.
I use the TMX workaround that Tom and Paul mention, but it would be much better simply to be able to "import an SDLTM".

Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The specific need Feb 3, 2010

Dear Paul,

Thanks for the response.

I ask this for a very specific reason: our old abbreviation list / full stop rule / segmentation problem.

I have to recreate all my TM's using the new, improved Russian Language Resource Template. One would want to jut import the data from the old TM's which lack the full stop rule.

Exporting to tmx then importing is an acceptable work-around, it just seems awkward.

Going foward, the situation
... See more
Dear Paul,

Thanks for the response.

I ask this for a very specific reason: our old abbreviation list / full stop rule / segmentation problem.

I have to recreate all my TM's using the new, improved Russian Language Resource Template. One would want to jut import the data from the old TM's which lack the full stop rule.

Exporting to tmx then importing is an acceptable work-around, it just seems awkward.

Going foward, the situation I would envision is merging, or even more important, regularly updating a "Legal" TM with say, "Real Estate," "Litigation," and "Corporate Governance" TMs.

However I must admit I have not yet studied all the batch edit, etc. functions for advanced TM management.

However at this point this is more theoretical than a practical need, and the TMX workaround does the job (awkwardly) in any case.

Best,

Tom

[Edited at 2010-02-03 17:15 GMT]
Collapse

Solana Rosa
Solana Rosa  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Need to be able to import sdltm May 19, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I miss this feature too.
I use the TMX workaround that Tom and Paul mention, but it would be much better simply to be able to "import an SDLTM".

I totally agree!

Sonia Martos
Sonia Martos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
We are not talking about an "isolated" need Nov 8, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I miss this feature too.

I work in a translation agency and we suffer the lack of this feature every single day (something which SDLX does beautifully, together with the possibility of opening several TMs at the same time).
For instance, imagine you have your TMs organized by product models, and then all those sub-models are merged into model series and then the series are merged into a general TM.
When a job is finished, we update all the corresponding TMs. Usually that's fine if using the SDLXLIFF files. But that is not always the case...
I've spent hours just merging one TM into another for 20 different languages. Or merging our own TMs with the client's to generate a new word count report. There are several different scenarios where that feature comes in handy and I think that it should not be dismissed so lightly.
By the way, I will try the Upgrade TM function. At least that way I will be able to batch export to TMX!

Alex Reckless
Alex Reckless
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:03
German to English
agreed Nov 27, 2013

Solana Rosa wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I miss this feature too.

I totally agree!

I also agree 100%. I mean, when your TM can't even import the company's own proprietary format, that is just crazy. I can't believe SDL is refusing to accept that this is a useful function.

I have only been using Studio 2014 for a month or so, but already miss this function.

Luckily, most of my current work is in Transit NXT. I have to say, I really think this is a far superior product all-round for key features like terminology integration, TM management, file handling, etc.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Has anyone tried... Nov 27, 2013

... the upgrade TM route? It's not hard and carries many advantages. You may have different fields/attributes, language resources or even Translation Memory formats and this upgrade route provides mechanisms for handling all of this in the way you want.

However, if you just want to mimic an import because the TMs are based on the same setup then it's fairly simple and quick. I created a quick video to show you how to do this with 10 TMs containing a mixture of languages and merge
... See more
... the upgrade TM route? It's not hard and carries many advantages. You may have different fields/attributes, language resources or even Translation Memory formats and this upgrade route provides mechanisms for handling all of this in the way you want.

However, if you just want to mimic an import because the TMs are based on the same setup then it's fairly simple and quick. I created a quick video to show you how to do this with 10 TMs containing a mixture of languages and merged them in a couple of clicks into 4 : http://youtu.be/AFYqXJVyraM

In addition to being able to merge SDLTMs you could also throw in mixtures of languages, 2007 TMW/TXT TMs, SDLX MDB TMs, and TMX TMs. The same process will be able to upgrade and merge them in one go in the way you want.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio - no import from other Studio TMs? (sdltm)?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »