Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:45
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 25, 2010

Software: Office 2003, Vista, Trados freelance 2007

I've translated a large word file with tageditor and delivered a clean and unclean copy to my client. The clean version had all the original formatting preserved.
The client then indicated that she wants an unclean word file NOT translated with the tageditor but straight in word with the Trados workbench, so I ran an original word file through the TM, but now the formatting is a complete mess and I can't even manually fix it segment by segment, because even the sources have changed to different letter types etc.

Then I reinstalled Office 2003, but the exact same problem occurred again.

I hope anyone can point out or suggest a solution.

[Edited at 2010-01-25 18:57 GMT]

Shashi Kant Singh
India
Local time: 14:15
English to Hindi
+ ...
Do the followings: Jan 27, 2010

Dear Texmill,

Just do the followings:

1.Right click the file your have translated using TagEditor and open it with SDLX. It will be opened as an ITD file. Now confirm each segment pressing the Enter key. Now open SDLX TM and update it. Now close the application and file.

2.Now pre-translate your source files using any blank Workbench TM. (If you don’t have any, create a black TM. Now open the blank TM. Go to Tools > and click Translate. In the dialogue box that will be opened, keep 100 or more match value. Check the box “Segment unknown segments”. Under update changed translation: check “don’t” and under Translate terms: check “don’t”. Now load your source files and click "Translate". Now your files will be pre-translated. Now close the Workbench.

3. Right click the pre-translated file and click “Translate with SDLX”. When ITD file is opened, open the TM you have just updated. You may keep the match value 80% or above. Your file will be translated within seconds. Now confirm each segment by pressing Enter key and update TM. When done, go to file and click “Create Translation”. A new translated file will be created with the extension name of your target language. Now open the file and you will find that your formatting is intact.

Does it works?

Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:45
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 12, 2010

A belated thank you. Your tips came in handy. I also acquired assistance by SDL and it turned out that the files were contaminated. Tadeditor worked best after all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word file formatting changed with Trados 2007

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search