Thread poster: Sherefedin MUSTAFA

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 23:42
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Jan 26, 2010

Hi all,

I recently purchased an upgrade from the freelance to the professional version of SDL Studio. Quite a big investment for a one-man translation company indeed.

In the course of my negotiations I was always convinced that the licensing policy applied to the freelance version will be applicable to the professional version and had no information to doubt on that.

I got the quote, accepted and paid for it and proceeded to the process of returning aold licenses, de-installation of the old version, download the new software: SDL Trados 2007 Suite Professional + SDL Studio 2009 Professional, installed them to my pc and activated both Suite and Studio. No problem at all.

Encouraged by this experience, I did the same with my notebook. Same procedure, activated Trados Suite with the new license but all my efforts to activate the professional version of Studio on my notebook failed. I submitted a support ticked and received the following answer:
“According to your account you have purchased a "SDL Trados Studio 2009 Professional", which is a Single Activation License and therefore cannot be used on more than one computer.”

You can imagine how surprised I was by this (at least for me) new and unexpected license policy and I still wonder where did I miss the clue.

I’d appreciate if you share your thoughts on this issue and especially if a SDL representative could explain what’s the difference and why SDL has changed the wel known licensing principle of 1 license to be used alternatively in 2 units.

Thank you.

Sherefedin

LuisLopes

English
For businesses Jan 26, 2010

The professional version is intended for companies and businesses.

If SDL allowed multiple activations for the professional version, why would a company buy 100 licenses for 100 users, if they could just buy 50 and activate them twice?

The two activations for the Freelance license are allowed due to the very common way of working for a single individual (Freelancer), which is to have a Desktop and Laptop.

This has always been the way for the Professional version and has not changed.

[Edited at 2010-01-26 10:20 GMT]

Optiproz Pri (X)
English
License Jan 26, 2010

Hi

Was it not always that the 1 Freelance license can be used on 2 PCs/notebooks and a Pro license only on 1 PC/notebook?

Cheers

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Normal but... Jan 26, 2010

Sherefedin MUSTAFA wrote:

’d appreciate if you share your thoughts on this issue and especially if a SDL representative could explain what’s the difference and why SDL has changed the wel known licensing principle of 1 license to be used alternatively in 2 units. [/quote]

The Professional licensing was always like this.
One license, one active machine.
Nothing changed.

Personally, I think the sales guys should have explain you it before you made the purchase.

If you want to use the Pro license alternatively on 2 (or more) computers, you need the floating license version which is hyper damn expensive now (5000 euro excluding VAT).

PS.
I have a chance I purchased Pro floating before SDL raised the prices.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-01-26 10:57 GMT]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you not deactivate and activate on a different PC? Jan 29, 2010

Hi,

I had a look at the SDL site and I saw the following:

"Activation code licenses allow you to activate your license via our online system. The license can be manually activated or deactivated and can be moved to a different PC."

You can deactivate the licence from your main PC and activate it on your laptop.

Or doesn't it work like that?

Daniel

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
It does work Jan 30, 2010

Hi Daniel et al,
it does work exactly the way you have described. I can only confirm that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Surprised by licensing policy of SDL Studio professional

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search