Thread poster: Jenni Jelse

Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:32
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2010

I apologize if this question has been answered before, I couldn't find any answers with the search feature.

I use Word 2003/SDL Trados 2007 (Windows XP)

I'm translating a Word file with lots of tw4winInternal tags. I chose to translate it in TagEditor to protect the tags and make things easier on myself. I got a small TM export from the client which I imported into my larger TM.

Now in all matches and repetitions the Swedish characters å, ä and ö are displayed as question marks (and the letter right after is deleted, i.e. the word "från" is displayed as "fr?"). I've replaced them all manually/using search and replace so far, but it's very time-consuming.

I've now almost finished, but I seem to have trouble converting the file back to Word. This happens sometimes, but can be solved by running the original Word file through TagEditor again. But then all the question marks will come back!

Does anybody know what's causing this error? I've tried using just the TM from the client rather than importing it into my big TM, but have the same issue. My large TM doesn't have problems with other files to my knowledge, so could it be the file itself? I think it's happened before with this client on a smaller job.

Thanks so much!!!

Katarina Delic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2008)
English to Serbian
+ ...
I had a similar problem Jan 26, 2010

About a year ago I was using Trados 7 Freelance and I had corrupt characters, though I worked directly in Word with Trados toolabar. All special Serbian characters from TM were corrupt.
I solved the problem by changing the language preferences that were set up for English. Go to control panel/regional and language options, and under tab Languages click on details and check whether your computer is set to Swedish.
Maybe this isn't the case with you, but you never know.

Just to add, if this is the case with you, you'll probably have to exclude the TM from TagEditor and import it again, though I'm not sure.

[Edited at 2010-01-26 10:28 GMT]

Isabelle Derson  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
link Jan 26, 2010

maybe this could help you

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/152822-estrange_symbols_characters_when_using_a_trados_tm.html#1293475

Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 26, 2010

Thanks - I will keep a note of this for the future...

For now I managed to solve my problem by creating a brand new TM, updating it manually with the translated .ttx file segments, and then retranslating the file from scratch with the new TM. I have no idea why, but there were no corrupt characters that way. I'm going to check more carefully if the problem was with my other TM, but I don't think I've had problems with it before. Maybe it was the combination of the file and the TM...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corrupt characters in TagEditor

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search