Segmentation rules (*.ffd) conversion to Trados or SDLX
Thread poster: szimat

szimat
Local time: 18:49
Jan 27, 2010

Hi,

I am new to Transit (XV), it is pretty confusing to use. I am looking for a way to use SDLX instead Transit for the translations, but this project requires from me to use Transit. I have received a Master Project file, upon which all the other projects should be created, and an ffd file that I must use (I guess these are the segmentation rules, filters). The source is in xml format.
Actually I have many questions, but the two important one are:
- is it possible to convert the ffd file to a format that SDLX (or Trados) can recognize?
- what should I look in the Master project file I have received, in order to have the same settings in SDLX (or Trados)?

I have problems when converting the TM I use for SDLX into Transit, I have read here in a different topic that there is a PDF file that helps on this, but the link is broken, maybe sy could send it to me? Or any other ideas how to use the SDLX TM for Transit?

Sorry for so many questions, I really need help on this.

Regards,
szimat

Arabictranslate  Identity Verified
Egypt
German to Arabic
+ ...
Help for Transit Jan 27, 2010

Hi Szimat,

You are correct FFD is the File Format Definition explaining how the text should be displayed in Transit editor, for example, which text to be editable and which should be displayed within non editable tags.

Converting the project into Trados may cause you many problems later, specially you are supposed to have other projects based on this.

Should you need help with Transit, we can friendly help you as much as we could. Simply contact us by mail:
arabictranslationteam@gmail.com

Best regards

Your Arabic Translation Team

szimat
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, no need for FFD? Jan 27, 2010

Hi Arabic Translation Team,

thank you for your answer! Sorry to hear that it is problematic to transfer the content of the FFD file to SLDX compatible version. I really do not want to use Transit, I like Trados/SDLX a lot, and all my translators also work in Trados/SDLX.

What kind of problems should I expect? Can you please help me on this? The fact is that I would like to use SDLX for the creation of the project, but I am not sure that without the FFD file the source xml files will be correct. But maybe there is no real need for this in SDLX? It can handle xml files quite good, I mean, the translations will be exactly there where the source is in the xml.

Thank you!
Szimat

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 20:49
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi all, Jan 27, 2010

I am moving this thread to the SDL Trados support forum.

Kind regards,
Maya

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation rules (*.ffd) conversion to Trados or SDLX

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search