WinAlign error message: "The input ended before all started tags were ended"
Thread poster: Victoria Holmes

Victoria Holmes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:24
German to English
Jan 27, 2010

I'm using TRADOS Studio 2007 to align two very large Word files which I then want to export into a new TM. Whenever I run the alignment, I get the error message above. Any ideas?

FarkasAndras
Local time: 09:24
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A wild guess Jan 28, 2010

Does your text have tags in it? Anything enclosed in < >.
Of course WinAlign should in principle not be confused by tags in the text, but then again winalign should not be a massive pile of garbage, either, so we shouldn't base our assessments on what it should and shouldn't do.

Do a search for < and > and remove these characters, then try again.

Also, you could copy and paste the content of the file to a text editor (Notepad) to strip all the complex formatting. Save with Notepad as UTF-8 txt.

Victoria Holmes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:24
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 3, 2010

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond! Finally found time to try out your theory and have found that using Notepad works as long as I break up the original files into smaller chunks. I think they were originally just far too big! Many thanks for your help.

Elina R-K  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:24
English to Finnish
+ ...
Another possible solution May 17, 2013

I had a similar problem with two 94-page .docx files (except that I'm using Studio 2011, but I guess WinAlign hasn't changed much since the 2007 version). I found this thread and first tried breaking up the original files into 30-page chunks, but still saved them as .docx files. This didn't help.

Strangely enough, the problem was finally solved when in the "New WinAlign Project" window under "General" tab I chose "Microsoft Word Documents (*.doc) instead of "Microsoft Word 2007 (*.docx; *.dotx; *docm; etc). Then in the "Files" tab, when I was adding documents, I chose "All files" as file type and was able to add my .docx files.

I tried some other tweaks to the project settings, but was able to continue aligning only when the selected document type was .doc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign error message: "The input ended before all started tags were ended"

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search