Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How can I get "unclean" files from a finished Trados St 2009 project?
Thread poster: Miguel Fuentes
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:14
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TMS in Studio Jan 28, 2010

Mike, the confusion about the TMs is this:

When you create a project in Studio, by default a special project TM is created. You have to go looking for this TM. It is not stored under translation memories, but is in the same folder as the project files. Thus, it is not under "Documents - SDL Trados Studio - Translation Memories", but under "Documents - SDL Trados Studio - Projects - (your project name) - TM". That is where you will find it hiding.

Astrid

Miguel Fuentes
Miguel Fuentes  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it... Thanks!!! Jan 28, 2010

And thank you Nora, for all your support

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
German to English
You have to persuade the client to accept a TTX Jan 29, 2010

which shouldn't be too hard. They know what TTX is even if the doc you are translating is a Word doc. They may not normally use TTX for Word but they will understand.

You must have Trados 2007 installed on your computer (it came with Studio 2009). Create a TTX in Trados 2007.
How? Open the source file in TagEditor. Save as TTX. Close TagEditor.
Open the TTX in Studio, run it through the memory. Should be 100% matches but you may need to do some editing. Save as TTX. Sen
... See more
which shouldn't be too hard. They know what TTX is even if the doc you are translating is a Word doc. They may not normally use TTX for Word but they will understand.

You must have Trados 2007 installed on your computer (it came with Studio 2009). Create a TTX in Trados 2007.
How? Open the source file in TagEditor. Save as TTX. Close TagEditor.
Open the TTX in Studio, run it through the memory. Should be 100% matches but you may need to do some editing. Save as TTX. Send to client.

3 threads on the same subject on one day:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/156407-transferring_from_trados_2009_to_2007.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/156473-using_a_sdl_studio_file_with_trados_2007.html

Gillian

[Edited at 2010-01-29 05:47 GMT]
Collapse

Miguel Fuentes
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Gillian, Jan 29, 2010

Right on the money! I am now planning to first learn Trados 2007. YThe Studio 2009 can probably make wonders on large projects, and everybody will eventually use it, but it is definitively too GD cumbersome for small projects, and for a CAT rookie like yours truly.

I must say that I am pleasantly surprised by the level of response and support from the community.

I thank everyone very, very much.

Joel Earnest
Joel Earnest
Local time: 17:14
Swedish to English
Here's the workflow you should be using Jan 29, 2010

To deliver bilingual TTXs and cleaned translated files from a Word file, for example:

1. Obtain the original Word file and convert it to a TTX in Suite (old Trados).
2. Translate the TTX in Studio.
3. With the file open in the Editor view, select Save Target As… from the File menu and then click Orginal File to create a clean Word file.
4. In the Projects view, right-click your project, select Batch Tasks and then Finalize to create a bilingual TTX.

... See more
To deliver bilingual TTXs and cleaned translated files from a Word file, for example:

1. Obtain the original Word file and convert it to a TTX in Suite (old Trados).
2. Translate the TTX in Studio.
3. With the file open in the Editor view, select Save Target As… from the File menu and then click Orginal File to create a clean Word file.
4. In the Projects view, right-click your project, select Batch Tasks and then Finalize to create a bilingual TTX.

This compatibility procedure disables the real-time preview feature in Studio, but you can still preview your file in Word at any time while translating by clicking the View Target button on the Preview toolbar.
For non-Office files for which you do not have the originating program (or when you cannot obtain an original file), just translate the provided TTX. However, you will only be able to preview the file in Internet Explorer.

[Edited at 2010-01-29 23:13 GMT]
Collapse

Miguel Fuentes
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Joel Feb 1, 2010

I will use your 4 steps also

There are many ways to deal with the problem. To be sure, this was an intensive training session ... Thanks a lot.

Anton Mukhin
Anton Mukhin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:14
English to Russian
Not worth it Apr 26, 2010

I guess buying Trados 2009 is simply not worth it yet... Too much trouble...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I get "unclean" files from a finished Trados St 2009 project?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »