Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How can I get "unclean" files from a finished Trados St 2009 project?
Thread poster: Miguel Fuentes

Miguel Fuentes  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2010

Hello,
-I am a beginner in CAT tools.
-Very recently I purchased SDL Trados 2009.
-I have never worked with Trados 2007.
-Yesterday I completed my fourth project using Trados 2009, closed the project and delivered the target files.
-The client who works on the SDL 2007 version is asking for "unclean" files to proof the translation and update their TM.
- Apparently Trados 2009 automatically cleans the target files after completion of a project.
-I can't find a way to get the "unclean" files!
-The client tells me there must be .bak files (unclean files) stored somewhere in my computer but I just can't find them.

SDL has not responded yet to my support requests and I am getting nervous here as the client is getting upset !

Could you please tell me how to get those "unclean files"???

Thanks a lot in advance for your support!

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
More information Jan 28, 2010

Which format are the files?

If it's a regular Word file, you should export the TM used in the project: in the TM module in Studio, open that TM (it's in the Project file in the TM folder) and export it.

Create a new TM with Trados 2007 Workbench and import the TM you exported in the previous step. Don't close Workbench, you will re-translate the document with it.

Open the Word file, place the cursor at the beginning of the document and press Alt+Home. Workbench should give you a 100% match and translate the content automatically. If there's a format issue, can can edit it manually. Press Alt+* to translate until a fuzzy match is found (which you can edit manually.)

Keep doing that until you reach the end of the document.

That's it.

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Source dcmts are MS word Jan 28, 2010

Hi Claudia,
Thanks!!

I have opened the TM in SDL Trados 2009 but I can't find the "export" command. In which menu is it?

Thanks againicon_smile.gif

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Export: Right-click on the TM on the left-side menu Jan 28, 2010

Mike Fuentes wrote:

Hi Claudia,
Thanks!!

I have opened the TM in SDL Trados 2009 but I can't find the "export" command. In which menu is it?

Thanks againicon_smile.gif

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK i finally found the TM (It was saved outside the SDL directory in different directory Jan 28, 2010

I don't know if using the forum in this way is appropriate or if we should shift to e-mail.

So now I will move on with your instructions and open SDL 2007 and so on

Could I call you again if I get stuck?...

icon_smile.gif

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:58
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You do not need to re-translate the file Jan 28, 2010

Hi Claudia and Mike,

It really is not worth going to the trouble of re-translating the file. Why not give the client a brief explanation instead?

The client does not need "unclean files", but only a TM export from Studio to import into Workbench.

To get the famous ".txt"-file export that most clients using the 2007 software would happily accept instead of unclean files, do the following:

1. Export the project TM from Studio to a location of your choice.
2. Import it into Workbench as the type of file that it already is, i.e. a tmx-file.
3. Export it from Workbench, to a location of your choice, as a txt-file.
4. Send the client the .txt-file.

However, easier still than this is the following:

1. Export the project TM from Studio to a location of your choice.
2. Explain to the client that he or she can import this tmx-file into Workbench and then use the resulting translation memory in the normal way.

To Mike:

To export from Studio:

1. Choose the "Translation Memory" view.
2. Select "Open Translation Memory" at the top of the screen.
3. Find the translation memory on your computer. It should - by default - be under "Documents", then "SDL Trados Studio" and then "Projects". (You might, however, also happen to have it in the list at the left-hand side of the screen.)
4. Have a look at the contents, just to make sure it is the right one. Then close it again and right-click on it and choose "Export".

By the way, you should continue to use the forum rather than e-mail. It is the best way to help other people with the same problem.

Astrid

P.S. There are no ".bak-files" stored on your computer, since you are using Studio, not the 2007 software.

[Edited at 2010-01-28 19:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-28 19:23 GMT]

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Client might need the unclean files Jan 28, 2010

Hi Astrid,

Unclean files are necessary in order to proofread them. It's easier to proofread/correct the bilingual file rather than modify the TM.

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was not the correct TM! Now I can open the editor but it does not have a TM attached! How do I co Jan 28, 2010

Thank you Astrid,

I am getting lost here,

-What I thought to be THE TM (in a different folder outside SDL directory) turned out to be from past job for the same client.
-Within Trados 2009 I cant' find teh TM and all I can find for this project is the actual Word file (*_doc.sdlxliff).
-How can I make a TM out of this file? What menu should I use?

Thank you very much

To Claudia: I also thank your help very much!

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:58
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TM is not enough Jan 28, 2010

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

The client does not need "unclean files", but only a TM export from Studio to import into Workbench.

I am afraid it is not that simple. If the client uses doc-bilingual workflow, the TM matches will be far from 100%. Studio 2009 uses tags, Word workflow uses formatting (which is marked in the TM by special Trados tags). That is why TM export will be much less usable for the client than an unclean file (or TM made by translating within Word).

Of course, this should be agreed upon before delivery...

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The client uses Trados 2007 Jan 28, 2010

Hi Jabberwok,
The client uses Trados 2007 and would rather have the unclean files to be able to edit the translation... After all this fuss, my client is only asking for a compatible TM.

Now I cannot even create a TM from the project. Sure I can open the sdlxliff file, but that's about all I can do.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not as easy as it should be Jan 28, 2010

I just went through this nightmarish process last week with a 10,000+ word project.

I ended up aligning the files to create the uncleaned file. The exported TM just didn't do it for me due to formatting differences.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Go to the TM view, not the Edit View Jan 28, 2010

Mike,

In order to export the TM you need to go to the lower left corner of your screen, click on the very last icon that is half green and half yellow, that will take you to the TM screen.

Then just below the File Menu, click on Open Translation Memory, select the TM you want to export, now find the little half-green, half-yellow icon on the toolbar that has an outgoing green arrow and click on that, that's the export button.

Choose a location to save and that should be it. You'll get a TMX file, that's what you can send to your client.

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm afraid there is no TM! Jan 28, 2010

I can view the translated file in Edit View, but there is not translation memory for this project in TM view.

I created a TM from the project setup window, and apparently is was created, but I cannot see it from TM view!!

This will get solved one way or the other, but in the mean time it is sooo irritating.

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
You have to open the TM Jan 28, 2010

The TM is not gonna be there, you have to go to the project file (go to Project Settings to see where it is). The TM is in a folder named TM.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I suggest aligning the files instead Jan 28, 2010

Mike,

If your file is not too long and there's any amount of formatting in it, I think you'd be better off aligning the source and target files in WinAlign, then either creating an unclean file with the resulting txt file, or just sending the txt to your client.

This is much faster!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I get "unclean" files from a finished Trados St 2009 project?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search