Problem with format & style from Trados 2009 to Help&Manual
Thread poster: Cristina Godoy

Cristina Godoy
Local time: 22:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 30, 2010

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you could help me with a problem I am experiencing with format and style. The original xml files (created with the Help&Manual program) had a specific format, style, headings, note and caution styles etc. This was all contained in an INI (Help&Manual) file, which we didn't know of, so we have been translating in trados as usual and then exporting the xml target files back to Help&Manual, but as it happens, the translated files in Help&Manual will not keep the style markup from the xml source.

The client asked me to replace the Trados INI file (which ended up being 9 INI files, of which I don't know the one to replace it (the HTML, the XSL, the XLIFF??) with the Help&Manual INI file. I've tried this and then translated in every possible way (translated the source file starting from 0 (trying with all these 3) with the INI incorporated, I have created new projects with this INI, translated a translated file back again now with the INI) but none of them will work; the format and style remain the same.

So... in sum... does any of you know how to keep this Help&Manual style in Trados before starting to translate, and / or how to retrieve it when the file has not been translated with that INI from the outset?

Thanks a million!!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
You have to start with that INI from scratch Jan 30, 2010

Hi Cristina,
I'm sure you won't like it, but you will have to proceed as follows:
1. Take the original XML files
2. Launch Workbench
3. Launch TagEditor
4. Load the Help&Manual INI file into TagEditor (you can do that in Workbench as well)
5. Open the original XML files in TagEditor and save them as TTX
6. Translate these newly-created TTX files.

Unfortunately, once a TTX is created with an INI file, you can't translate it with a different INI file.

Cristina Godoy
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same steps in trados 2009? Jan 30, 2010

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks a lot for your response. I located this INI file in the Program files > Trados path, within the folder that contained the corresponding Trados INI files. I suppose it's there where I need to store the client's INI file? But do I need to delete / move the location of any Trados INI file in return? If they all work together this would not generate any problems when I run Trados?

I work with Trados 2009 xliff files, but I'll try to apply the steps you told me. But when you say "Load the Help&Manual INI file into TagEditor / Workbench", where is it, where I can load the INI file? I would not save it to the Program files > Trados corresponding folder where Trados INIs are located?

And as for all the files that have already been translated without this INI, I guess then there's no way to retrieve this style and format?

Thank you!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Step by step Jan 30, 2010

Hello Cristina,
you can keep the H&M INI file wherever you want on your HDD.
Please follow the steps to attach the new INI into TagEditor:
1. Launch Workbench and open the correct TM
2. Launch TagEditor
3. In TagEditor, go to Tools > Tag Settings
4. The Tag Settings Manager opens. Click Open, browse to the Help&Manual INI file and click Open again
5. The Help&Manual INI file will appear in the list of available INI files
6. Click it in the list and then click the "Default" button
7. Open the XMLs one by one in TagEditor and use your TM to retranslate these.

And as for all the files that have already been translated without this INI, I guess then there's no way to retrieve this style and format?

There may of course be a way, but I would have to see all the project files you have created so far. Please follow the steps above, if you want to be on the safe side.

Cristina Godoy
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Result in 2009 Jan 31, 2010

It worked for both Trados 2007 and 2009!

Thanks Stanislav!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with format & style from Trados 2009 to Help&Manual

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search