Trados Studio and Excel Imports
Thread poster: StandaZizka

StandaZizka  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:05
English to Czech
+ ...
Feb 1, 2010

Hello everybody

I am translating quite a chunky excel file in Trados Studio 2009. Apart from a column with the text to be translated, there're further columns: one for target translation; few other with comments and notes.

My question: from my experience with other CAT tools I was hoping I'd be able to select SPECIFIC AREA within an excel spredsheet that is to be translated... Though it seems only the whole WORKSHEET can be selected, am I right? How would you proceed if the client wanted final translation again in Excel (I have imported into Trados only the column that need to be translated which I will copy a paste into original file when completed)?

Tried to quickly search in previous threads, though couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Stan

Direct link Reply with quote

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Does it help... Feb 1, 2010

..if you hide the columns that you don’t want to translate, then translate the remaining source column with Tageditor?

Achim Herrmann
English to German
SDL Passolo Feb 1, 2010

Hello Stan,

don't know if you have SDL Passolo (not Essential) in place. The Excel Add-In in SDL Passolo 2009 is specialized on Excel files that are mis-used as databases.

So you can read from one column and write the translation(s) to other columns. Additional meta data like comments or even the max. length for the translations can be extracted from the Excel files and will be processed as expected e.g. in checks.

Achim

StandaZizka  Identity Verified
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Passolo - any experience? Feb 1, 2010

Thanks, Achim.

I did not know about this function of Passolo... I have already started in Studio, only few pages and still two weeks or so to go... is it worthwhile switching to Passolo from your experience? Luckily there are no length restructions so the other information in Excel is not so crutial, apart from the pre-inserted translations in my excel (target column), which are 100% matches anyway, so I think in my case it would mainly be the practicality of working as Passolo is designed better to work with this type of Excel, am I right?

Thanks
Stan

Achim Herrmann
English to German
Perhaps next time Feb 2, 2010

Hello Stan,

I assume it's a one time job, so in the actual situation I would recommend to stay with the current workflow making manual pre- and post-processing.

I also assume that this is not the only target language so other translators will have the same problems.

If you are getting a lot of these files from the client it is worth to propose that the client is using a tool that is able to simply handle these kind of file formats.

Achim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio and Excel Imports

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search