How to add a filter before opening a word file in TagEditor?
Thread poster: Birthe Omark

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:31
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Feb 1, 2010

A manual I have previously translated using TE has now found its way back to me with additions / updates.

I have the full copy of the source language & the target language with updates / additions added in the source language, and marked in red.
Normally such updates have come to me as ttx files, ready to translate, but this time I have to prepare the file myself. So, how do I convert to ttx so that only the 'red copy' comes up for translation (or all the 'black' segments are understood as 100% matches).

I have Trados 2007.

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Birthe

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Delete black sentences in Word Feb 1, 2010

Hi Birthe,

The following solution assumes three things:
1.) It is fine to delete all black parts and keep red parts; merging the present batch of translation with the previous one is not a concern.
2.) The red parts are entire sentences, i.e., there are no one-word modifications in the sentences.
3.) The red texts are indeed red, and not black texts entered using Track changes, which show up in red but turn into black once changes have been accepted. If your red texts are red because of using Track changes then another solution is required.

If all three conditions are met, the straightforward solution is to prepare a file that contains the newly added sentences only. To this end, you need to delete the black sentences. This can be done by using Word's find and replace functions, by specifying the formatting:
Choose Edit / Replace, and click on "More".
In the "Find what" field write * , and check the "Use wildcards" box. Then click on Format, choose Font, and then under All text / Font color choose Black (not automatic!).
Leave the replace field empty.
Click on "Replace all".
This deletes all text in black.

Kind regards,
Attila

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 1, 2010

thank you for your suggestion, however, I was wondering if there was another way to isolate the 'red' sentences.
You see .. there are about 150 pages - and of course, the translated bits will have to be inserted into the text again (about 3,000 new words).

The outsourser has not sent med the memory - so then it should be child's play. Simply translate to fuzzy - and 'hey presto'.

Kind regards
Birthe

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Replace black text format by nontranslatable style Feb 1, 2010

In that case you can do this:
you replace the black text parts by a style "tw4winextrenal" that is recognized by Trados or Wordfast as nontranslatable text: they skip it during translation.

To do this, follow the previous instructions, but in the "Replace with" field specify target format (under More / Format / Style select "tw4winextrenal"). If this style does not occur in your list, then define it by clicking on the double-A icon of style, and then click on New style in the appearing right-side bar.

Kind regards,
Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add a filter before opening a word file in TagEditor?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search