How to merge two segments in Trados 2009?
Thread poster: Elodie Bonnafous

Elodie Bonnafous  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:00
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Feb 1, 2010

Hello everyone,

I'm still a newbie with Trados Studio 2009, and I can't find how to merge 2 segments, or more precisely, I can't find how to select 2 segments at the same time.

Every hint will be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:00
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use segment numbers Feb 1, 2010

Click the number of the first segment to merge, then press SHIFT and click the number of the last segment to merge.
You will be able to merge segments, if they are not separated by a paragraph mark.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Merge segments Feb 1, 2010

Jerzy is right.

This is what the Trados 2009 help file says if you look up "merge segments" in the index:

To merge segments:

In the side-by-side editor window in the Editor view, hold down the [CTRL] key and click on the segment number column to select rows you want to merge.

Right-click in the segment number column of the last selected row and select Merge Segments from the shortcut menu. If there are any translations for the merged segments, those translations are merged.

NOTE
You can only merge neighbor segments in the same paragraph.

Elodie Bonnafous  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:00
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jerzy and Giles / Still doesn't work Feb 1, 2010

Indeed the first clicked segment is highlighted in blue, the last one in pale yellow, but I still can't merge both.

I just need to merge 2 segments because they belong together in the source text.

Why doesn't it work? Are there other possibilities ?

[Modifié le 2010-02-01 18:42 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The answer is already there Feb 1, 2010

You will be able to merge segments, if they are not separated by a paragraph mark.

NOTE
You can only merge neighbor segments in the same paragraph.

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Got the same problem... Feb 2, 2010

I got a source file which was probably poorly extracted from a PDF, with hard-coded end-of-paragraph codes in the middle of sentences.
I spent a lot of time trying to merge segments, before I understood that I could do nothing against these extraneous end-of-paragraph codes...
I did not have the source document, and had to ask for another package with a corrected file, as I was not able to suppress these end-of-paragraph codes myself.

Now, I'm asking the customer to take care of these end-of-paragraph codes beforehand, whereas I was "cleaning" the file by myself in the past...

Reynir G
Local time: 14:00
Merge segments Feb 2, 2010

I have the same problem. Apparently some segments can be merged with this method, but others can´t.

The problem is that there seems to be no way of editing the source text, in case a paragraph mark is hidden somewhere in the source.

If this is the case, then translators have to scan the source documents before creating projects to ensure that no paragraph marks are in the wrong places as this will be impossible once the translation has started.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to merge two segments in Trados 2009?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search