Trados Studio missing text when converting FrameMaker .mif files
Thread poster: mrelias

mrelias
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 2, 2010

I recently received some .mif files from a client saved from FrameMaker 9.0 . I imported them in Trados Studio 2009 Freelance and did the translation, but the client informed me that some of the source text was not translated. I tried various possible file settings in Studio but no matter what I did the missing text entries did not appear in the editor. At my request, the client saved the files as mif 7.0 and I used STagger and Trados 2007 to handle the translation - the missing text was in the .rtf files and the translated .mif files came out fine.

The text was associated with labels (icons) embedded in the text. As part of my testing I used file settings in Studio where I checked every box and set the variables and reference pages to "all". Still no luck. Any suggestions?

Obviously I can get by having clients save as .mif 7.0 but this doesn't seem like a good long-term solution.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:06
English
Can we see the file? Feb 2, 2010

Hello,

I would be happy to take a look at the file for you if you can mail it to me, along with a description of what is missing? You can send this to pfilkin@sdl.com

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

InfoPage
Japan
Local time: 05:06
Solved? Jul 3, 2014

Have this problem solved?
If so, please tell me the solution since I also come across this problem.
I tried to open a MIF file saved from FrameMaker 8.0 in Trados Studio 2011.
I found that one block of text is missing.

Regards,

Mioko

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:06
English
Try checking your filetype settings first... Jul 3, 2014

... and make sure that you have checked the appropriate boxes to extract what you need. If you think you have then please feel free to send me the MIF file and I can take a look and see whether I can explain how to resolve the problem... or report a problem through Support.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio missing text when converting FrameMaker .mif files

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search