Opening .xls files failed
Thread poster: zuziqua
zuziqua
Local time: 02:50
Feb 2, 2010

I am proofreading files in Trados Tag Editor. If I want to open an .xls (Excel) file, it shows a message "Failed to create file parser for plugin file format" and it doesn´t open. I have Excel installed in my computer, but it was installed later than Trados. Can this be the problem? How can I make it work?
Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Help us help you... Feb 2, 2010

What versions of...

- Trados
- Excel

...do you use?

zuziqua
TOPIC STARTER
Version Feb 2, 2010

I have Windows Vista, Office 2007 and Trados 7.

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Not compatible Feb 3, 2010

If by Trados 7 you mean Trados 7.x (and not SDL Trados 2007), AFAIK the Office 2007 suite isn't compatible. The filters of your Trados version are outdated and cannot handle the new format.

I think your options are to either downgrade your Office version or upgrade your Trados version.

zuziqua
TOPIC STARTER
Downgrading Feb 9, 2010

Yes, I found out that my version of Trados supports only Office 2000 - Office 2003. If I install one of these versions of Office, do I have to uninstall the original one?
Thank you.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not necessary Feb 9, 2010

Hi "zuziqua",
all you need to do is to save the XLS2007 as XLS2003 and open that in TagEditor. No need to downgrade your Office.

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Does it really work? Feb 10, 2010

I know about saving as 97-2003, but for example with Studio at the moment I cannot process any Excel 2003 files because I have Office 2007 installed.

Does it work in previous versions?

zuziqua
TOPIC STARTER
Why it works with Word Feb 10, 2010

No, it does not work if I only save it as 97-2003. However, strange is that with Word files it works and it is also Word 2007...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening .xls files failed

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search