Upgrading from SDL Trados 2006 to Studio 2009 SP1
Thread poster: Alexandra Beisl

Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:57
English to German
+ ...
Feb 3, 2010

I am planning to upgrade from SDL Trados 2006 to the Studio 2009 version, mainly because the Studio 2009 comes with a license for SDL Trados 2007. On the Trados website it says, that before you can obtain a new license for the new product any old licenses have to be returned. I have had a look at my SDL Trados 2006 under the license manager and there the option "Borrow or return a license" is not available, i.e. it is greyed out and cannot be chosen. Also, when I log into the Trados website and look under my license info there does not seem to be an option like that. How would I then go about this? What I want to avoid is buying the Studio 2009 version with SDL Trados 2007 in an upgrade and then not being given a license. My second question is that I am planning to do this upgrade with a switch over to Windows 7 64 bit. I have heard that SDL Trados 2007 might not work in this environment. Has anybody got any experience with this? The only reason I am interested in Studio 2009 at the moment is really the SDL Trados 2007 license: Most of my clients still want bilingual word files (segmented) delivered, which, as far as I understand, is not an option in Studio 2009, as it works independently from word? I have tried contacting SDL Trados about this but have not had any joy so far. My Emails seem to be hitting a black hole there.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Alex

Direct link Reply with quote

Shashi Kant Singh
India
Local time: 01:27
English to Hindi
+ ...
Do the followings: Feb 3, 2010

Deat Alex,

When you open your Licence Manager, click "View Acticated Licences...". Now it will show the licences active on your computer in a saperate window/dialogue box.

Now now click the licence shown in this box, it will be selected and the tab "Return Licence" will become active.

Now click "Return Licence".

Does it works?

alexbeisl wrote:

I am planning to upgrade from SDL Trados 2006 to the Studio 2009 version, mainly because the Studio 2009 comes with a license for SDL Trados 2007. On the Trados website it says, that before you can obtain a new license for the new product any old licenses have to be returned. I have had a look at my SDL Trados 2006 under the license manager and there the option "Borrow or return a license" is not available, i.e. it is greyed out and cannot be chosen. Also, when I log into the Trados website and look under my license info there does not seem to be an option like that. How would I then go about this? What I want to avoid is buying the Studio 2009 version with SDL Trados 2007 in an upgrade and then not being given a license. My second question is that I am planning to do this upgrade with a switch over to Windows 7 64 bit. I have heard that SDL Trados 2007 might not work in this environment. Has anybody got any experience with this? The only reason I am interested in Studio 2009 at the moment is really the SDL Trados 2007 license: Most of my clients still want bilingual word files (segmented) delivered, which, as far as I understand, is not an option in Studio 2009, as it works independently from word? I have tried contacting SDL Trados about this but have not had any joy so far. My Emails seem to be hitting a black hole there.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Alex

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"View Activated Licenses" does not exist in my license manager Feb 3, 2010

Hi there

This tab or option "View Activated Licenses" does not seem to exist in my license manager. All I get is the following options:

"change the license location" and

"show host ID".

The option "Borrow or return a license" is greyed out and not available for selection. Hence my question.

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nothing to return, I suppose Feb 3, 2010

You have to return the license only if you activated it online. As far as I can remember, 2006 doesn't require online activation; the license is file-based.

Paula Velasco
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same problem here Apr 8, 2011

Hi all,

I have had the same problem as alexbeisl. I currently have Trados SDL 2006 and I have purchased a 2009 Suite upgrade, which includes the 2007 version free.

The steps I have followed after long hours of reading guides and checking SDL support centre are:

1. I have installed Trados 2007 and Trados 2009 (and I have had a look at both with the demo mode).
2. I have clicked on the "upgrade from Trados 2006" link under My Licenses in My Account in SDL Customer Centre.
3. Then My Licenses list has been refreshed and I now have an activation code for the 2007 version and an activation code for the 2009 version.
4. I have activated the 2007 version online using the activation code. Under Translator's Workbench>Help>About I can see the order number SDL gave me when I purchased the upgrade and it says that the code is activated.
5. I have opened Trados 2007 and I have tried to translate a sample Word doc using one of my existing TMs I created a while ago with Trados 2006.
6. When I try to clean up the bilingual file, an error message pops up and it eventually does not save the target file and the log file of the cleaning up is blank.

Does that have to do with the fact that I have not "returned" my 2006 license? And more importantly, how do I get Trados 2007 to work properly??

Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
version of Word? Apr 8, 2011

Which version of Word are you working in? I have had this problem since working with MS Office 2007 in conjunction with SDL TRados 2007 if the documents are saved as doc.x. Converting the files to RTF or Word Documents 1997-2003 usually remedies this and then cleans up the file fine in SDL Trados 2007. Let me know if that helps.

[Edited at 2011-04-08 16:03 GMT]

Paula Velasco
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word version: 2003 Apr 14, 2011

I am still working with Microsoft Office 2003...

Is your Trados 2007-2009 working fine? Did you manage to return your 2006 license?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
returning licence Apr 14, 2011

In the end I returned the licence for SDL Trados 2006 via the sdl website under "My Account" and "My Licences", as there was no way of returning the license directly through Workbench, because SDL Trados 2006 does not have that button activated.

Trados is working fine, apart from a few problems wieth doc.x files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading from SDL Trados 2006 to Studio 2009 SP1

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search