TagEditor ttx file converts to Excel but the Excel file is is the source not the target language
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:55
French to English
Feb 4, 2010

Hello I have Trados 2007 and use MS Excel 2003 - I've just translated an Excel file in TagEditor but when I convert it to Excel using "Save target as" the Excel file opens in 2007 version (which I don't have so I can't edit it!!) and I can see that the text is in the target language ie English but I cannot do anything with this file as all the toolbars are greyed out as I don't have Excel 2007!! I can't even copy and paste the text into a new Excel 2003 file! It also says the file is locked for editing and when I re-open it using Excel 2003 it has gone back to the source (French) text, my customer is waiting for this file and it is too long for me to just copy and paste from TagEditor into a new Excel 2003 file, any ideas please? Thanks very much!

Direct link Reply with quote

Celine Gras  Identity Verified

English to French
+ ...
Clean it maybe? Feb 4, 2010

Hi Jenny!

Did you try to clean it with the Workbench? Normally it will convert it back to an excel file, this time in English.

Let me know if this helped.
Céline

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks but to no avail!! Feb 4, 2010

Hi Céline thanks for your suggestion but it didn't work, aftercleaning the fil I opened it and atomaticlly opened up in Excel 2007 which don't have!! And i said it was locked as it was already being used, but it was still in French anyway, I don't understand as I have no other Excel docs open, it is SOOOOO frustrating after doing all the work (about 4000 words!) In fact someone in an earlier forum advised me NOT to clean it with Workbench, oh well, thanks anyway!

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Format in Excel? Feb 4, 2010

Is the source file relatively simple -- such as, one (or few) columns need to be translated, in one (or few) worksheets? If yes, you may try the following:

1.) Prepare a new source file in Excel, which contains only the parts to be translated. Try translating it with your TM – normally, you have all segments in it. Use Save targhet as or clean it up -- does the same problem show up again?

2.) Copy everything into Word, and translate it there -- either with TagEditor or using Word + TWB. Save target or clean up, and then copy back everything into Excel. (Some care is required if there are soft line breaks.)

If the Excel file is more complicated, copying to Word and working there requires more preparation.

Best regards,
Attila

Celine Gras  Identity Verified

English to French
+ ...
Retranslate using the TM? Feb 4, 2010

Can you retranslate the source file using your TM? Maybe your file was corrupted during the translation process, and redoing the translation could help?

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
retranslate in word Feb 4, 2010

Thanks Céline and Attila, Céline I have tried what you'd suggested and no luck. Attila yes I do have all the segments in the TM and I tried opening a new version of the source file but it says it (ie the Excel file) is being used already and is locked, even though I don't have any other versions open! AndI'm trying to re-translate it in Word using TagEditor so will see how that turns out - the problem seems to be with incomptability of different versions of Excel TAgEdior seems to convert the ttx doc into Excel 2007 automatically, which I don't have and when aI look at the Excel doc it appears in English then "jumps" back to the French!!!!

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
One more point Feb 4, 2010

Hi again,

If your computer says that the file is currently being used, I would suggest that you close all applications, restart your computer and try again. It may do the trick – or may not, but it is definitely worth a try.

Kind regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2010-02-04 11:11 GMT]

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
REstarting everything Feb 4, 2010

Attila Piróth wrote:

Hi again,

If your computer says that the file is currently being used, I would suggest that you close all applications, restart your computer and try again. It may do the trick – or may not, but it is definitely worth a try.

Kind regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2010-02-04 11:11 GMT]

Thanks I did that too but it didn't work!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor ttx file converts to Excel but the Excel file is is the source not the target language

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search